Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Tuesday Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheltenham Tuesday Thread

General Tuesday discussion thread starting with Yankee selection

Objective: To pick a horse that we can collectively back in an official Fat Jockey yankee.

We would like to find a winner at more than 8/1 but up to the Day 1 judge. Blame Mayo if it all goes wrong

What to do now: Post your suggestion on the threads below for a decent priced winner on Champion Hurdle Tuesday.

race threads

Race Stats and Trends

Last edited by Old Vic; 8 March 2015, 02:00 PM.

I decided to lean towards the following for my day 1 suggestion.

Race: National Hunt Chase aka 4 miler
    Selection: Perfect Gentleman
    Odds: 25/1 (23/02/15)

FJ Spotlight:
    Perfect Gentleman has been running in inadequate trips of late so has been short of pace against the likes of Valseur Lido and Gilgamboa which caused mistakes. Record over 3m hurdling reads 31 where the 3rd was 3L behind Fox Rock. He kick started his chasing campaign with a 13L win over Vics Canvas (2m7f) with the later going in the next time over 3m4f and a recent 1L 3rd to Living Next Door. PG then won his next beating the out of form Sadler's Risk by only 3L over an inadequate 2m4f, and then you have the two bad runs mentioned earlier. He didn't seem to be stopping over 2m7f and jumped very well so no reason why he couldn't give 4m a shot. I think I will have a nibble myself @25/1.
    Last edited by loveracing; 23 February 2015, 11:21 PM.

Comment

This price might not last until Friday - from @thespeiler

Bet 365 became the first bookmaker to go NRNB on all the races at the Festival at the weekend, and when that happens I like to trawl through all the races and see if there is any value in uncertain starters who I would give a big chance to if lining up.

One horse jumps out - Vroum Vroum Mag in the 4 miler. At the scratch stage last week, Willie Mullins whittled his team for this down to 4, with Valesur Lido being a highly unlikely runner.

The crux is obviously the ongoing debate between Willie and Gigginstown on Don Poli’s target – this or the RSA. It’s probably 50:50. My gut feel is that Willie generally wins these arguments, but equally the exchanges are suggesting won’t, and that Don Poli will run in the RSA instead. Don Poli’s 3/1 NRNB and whilst I can see him going off very short if he lines up and the likes of Wounded Warrior and The Young Master don’t, that doesn’t scream value at this stage.

The conceived wisdom is that if Don Poli doesn’t run, Patrick will be on Perfect Gentleman (25/1). He’s had plenty of problems but they’ve had a much clearer run with him this time and he won a Grade 2 over 2m4f at Cork in November. He fell early on in the Drinmore and then got stuck in a bog at Limerick at Christmas. It’s difficult to assess how good he is, but he is a ten year old and it’s hard to imagine that he can actually win.

Willie Mullins has said during the season that Vroum Vroum Mag is likely to stay in Ireland, where she’d have some simple tasks in valuable mares novice chases. However, she was left in the JLT, RSA and 4 miler and the vibes are that she might deputise for Don Poli in this, if he were to end up in the RSA.

She’s jumped really well and destroyed her rivals in 3 mares novices chases at up to 2m4f since joining Willie Mullins. The form has worked out with her victim at Cork, Our Katie, winning twice since. She could be anything and already has an RPR of 142 without having come off the bridle – and she gets 7lb here. 4 miles is a different test entirely and good ground is an unknown. However, given her value as a broodmare, there’s no way she’ll be risked unless connections feel that she’ll handle the ground and trip.

She’s 25/1 ante-post but is 20/1 NRNB, which is huge. If she lines up, Don Poli won’t and my guess is that so she’ll start about 5/1 – so she has to be backed now.

Comment

I mentioned VVM on the 4 miler thread the other day, I thought she was a forgotten horse for this because I'd heard mention of her running in one of the hurdle races, she has to be a big player if she turns up, I'm already on based on her being an amazing jumper, I was just a bit uncertain of the trip

Comment

Thanks lads.

I am busy at work. Will have a good look at them all on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcGoldrick View Post
            I mentioned VVM on the 4 miler thread the other day, I thought she was a forgotten horse for this because I'd heard mention of her running in one of the hurdle races, she has to be a big player if she turns up, I'm already on based on her being an amazing jumper, I was just a bit uncertain of the trip
            VVM does looks interesting. It looks like the further she runs the further she wins by.

Though I just found this in WM Stable Visit by Will HaylerLast Updated: February 18 2015, 17:23 GMT

Vroom Vroom Mag: I doubt she will go to Cheltenham. She's in the mares' race at Limerick, but we'll see what happens.

-----------------
            Also no mention on Perfect Gentleman, so both may not go.

I think we need some more back up suggestions or find horses that will most likley turn up.
            Last edited by loveracing; 24 February 2015, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by loveracing View Post
              VVM does looks interesting. It looks like the further she runs the further she wins by.

Though I just found this in WM Stable Visit by Will HaylerLast Updated: February 18 2015, 17:23 GMT

Vroom Vroom Mag: I doubt she will go to Cheltenham. She's in the mares' race at Limerick, but we'll see what happens.

-----------------
              Also no mention on Perfect Gentleman, so both may not go.

I think we need some more back up suggestions or find horses that will most likley turn up.
              My back up selection is already in LR, Hurricane Fly

Comment

My back up selection is already in LR, Hurricane Fly
                My back up selection will be "Mendip Express" in the Festival Handicap Chase.

Race: Festival Handicap Chase
                Selection: Mendip Express
                Odds: 14/1 NRNB (24/02/15)

FJ Spotlight:
                Form in and around 3m on good/soft & soft reads 11112. 1/1 over Cheltenham and could make it 2/2.
                Last edited by loveracing; 24 February 2015, 02:09 PM.

Comment

20/1 NRNB has now gone for VVM. Now 16/1.

Comment

I'm probably going to put forward Ned Stark in the Ultima. Anyone like to put me off ?

Comment

Originally posted by mayo View Post
                      I'm probably going to put forward Ned Stark in the Ultima. Anyone like to put me off ?
                      Not much to put you off with Mayo. Seems well treated after today.

Though are judges allowed to put up horses for their day? If so I better study day 2.

Comment

Originally posted by loveracing View Post
                        Not much to put you off with Mayo. Seems well treated after today.

Though are judges allowed to put up horses for their day? If so I better study day 2.
                        I don't think a judge should be able to pick for their day, we'd all just pick our own

Comment

My first post here, suggest The Druids Nephew each way. Not sure if BG will be up on it but due a big run and picking up a big handicap.

Comment

I don't think a judge should be able to pick for their day, we'd all just pick our own
                            I agree, are you ok with this Mayo?

Though I wouldn't put up my own because I then would have someone to blame. lol
                            Last edited by loveracing; 25 February 2015, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Generous Ransom - Novice Handicap.

Comment

Working...
                              X