Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2013 World Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 World Hurdle

LADBROKES WORLD HURDLE

1, Grade One, £275,000 Total Prize Fund, three miles. Cheltenham, 3.20pm, Thursday, March 14, three miles.

For four-year olds and upwards which are allotted a rating of 130 or more by the BHA Head of Handicapping following a review of the horses entered and after taking account of races run up to and including March 7 - horses which are not qualified for a rating in GB, IRE or FR may also be entered (such horses may be eligible providing the Handicapper is satisfied that the horse’s racecourse performances up to and including March 7 would merit a minimum rating of 130 – the decision of the BHA Head of Handicapping shall be final).

Weights:
    4yo: 11st 1lb; 5yo+: 11st 10lb; fillies & mares allowed 7lb. Entries closed January 15, entries revealed January 17 (61 entries).

Scratchings deadline February 12 (33 remain), £13,750 supplementary entry stage & six-day confirmation stage March 8, final declarations 10am, March 12. Form figures supplied by Weatherbys and are correct up to and including the racing of Monday, February 11.

Form Horse Age Owner Trainer
    23 AAIM TO PROSPER (IRE) 9 CGA Racing Partnership 2 Paul Nicholls
    3P2-1000 AMERICAN SPIN 9 G Collacott & R Gadd Luke Dace
    240/14-0 ANY GIVEN DAY (IRE) 8 Tim Leslie Donald McCain
    10/-2111 BACK IN FOCUS (IRE) 8 Andrea & Graham Wylie Willie Mullins IRE
    11/1114/ BERGO (GER) 10 Gary Moore Gary Moore
    F13-F111 BOG WARRIOR (IRE) 9 Gigginstown House Stud Tony Martin IRE
    131120- CELESTIAL HALO (IRE) 9 The Stewart Family Paul Nicholls
    3122-242 CHAMPION COURT (IRE) 8 Martin Boothright Martin Keighley
    524536- CLOUDY SPIRIT 8 Norma Harris Reg Hollinshead
    20-00266 CROSS KENNON (IRE) 9 P and Mrs G A Clarke Jennie Candlish
    /12/1/10/ FIVEFORTHREE (IRE) 11 Olde Crowbars Syndicate Willie Mullins IRE
    221-14P GET ME OUT OF HERE (IRE) 9 J P McManus Jonjo O'Neill
    1114-P3P GRANDS CRUS (FR) 8 Roger Stanley & Yvonne Reynolds III David Pipe
    130-2400 HOLLOW TREE 5 Brannon Dick Holden Donald McCain
    1122-133 KENTFORD GREY LADY 7 Ian Bare Emma Lavelle
    113-121 MONKSLAND (IRE) 6 Patricia Hunt Noel Meade IRE
    2PP-015 MOSSLEY (IRE) 7 Bill Hennessy Robbie Hennessy IRE
    2/141-210 OSCARA DARA (IRE) 8 BG Racing Partnership Nicky Henderson
    1(1)51-112 OSCAR WHISKY (IRE) 8 Walters Plant Hire Ltd Nicky Henderson
    20/1120-2 PEDDLERS CROSS (IRE) 8 Tim Leslie Donald McCain
    351/51-1 PRINCE DE BEAUCHENE (FR) 10 Andrea & Graham Wylie Willie Mullins IRE
    453-204 PROSPECT WELLS (FR) 8 Andrea & Graham Wylie Paul Nicholls
    11/1/111- QUEVEGA (FR) 9 Hammer & Trowel Syndicate Willie Mullins IRE
    4053-211 REVE DE SIVOLA (FR) 8 Paul Duffy Diamond Partnership Nick Williams
    123U-32 SMAD PLACE (FR) 6 Mrs Peter Andrews Alan King
    2/1222/21 SOLWHIT (FR) 9 Top Of The Hill Syndicate Charles Byrnes IRE
    1110-432 SO YOUNG (FR) 7 Mrs M McMahon Willie Mullins IRE
    541-121 TIDAL BAY (IRE) 12 Andrea & Graham Wylie Paul Nicholls
    236-113 TRUSTAN TIMES (IRE) 7 Mrs M E Armitage & Peter Armitage Tim Easterby
    0051343 WHATUTHINK (IRE) 11 Redgap Partnership Oliver McKiernan IRE
    1 WHISPERING GALLERY 7 Bloomfields John Ferguson
    42512-1 WONDERFUL CHARM (FR) 5 Robin Geffen Paul Nicholls
    02-25122 ZAIDPOUR (FR) 7 Susannah Ricci Willie Mullins IRE
    33 entries after February 12 scratchings deadline
    11 Irish-trained

Original Prices 18/03/2012
    Big Bucks (2) , Boston Bob (10) , Voler La Vedette (10) , Zarkandar (12) , Brindisi Breeze (14) , Thousand Stars (16) , Smad Place (20) , Monksland (25) , Mount Benbulben (25) , Oscar Whisky (25) , Batonnier (33) , Dynaste (33) , Rocky Creek (33) , Sea Of Thunder (33) , So Young (33) , Sous Les Cieux (33) , Zaidpour (33)
    Last edited by Old Vic; 13 February 2013, 03:15 PM.

2/1 about Big Bucks looks big. Main dangers all going chasing ?

Comment

More Big Bucks in 2013 ...2/1 got snapped up

CHELTENHAM, UK - This year's Cheltenham Festival saw many short priced favourites disappoint, but one who didn't fail the punters was Big Buck's, who won his fourth World Hurdle on the trot.

Paul Nicholls did not have a good week, and as such Big Buck's proved very easy to back, going off at 5/6, having been available at no better than 4/7 in the week preceding the Festival. In hindsight, this might have been a good price for a horse who had won his last fifteen starts, but with Nicholls having had only one winner (which was trained in his satellite yard) all week, the drift is understandable.

There was a nervous moment for backers, with the mare Voler La Vedette coming out to chase the champion while travelling strongly, but Big Buck's endless stamina kicked in and he won by a length and three quarters. Big Buck's will go to Aintree, where he will be bidding to win the Liverpool Hurdle for the fourth time on the trot, and aiming to win at Aintree for the fifth year on the trot. He is a general 7/4 to win his fifth World Hurdle next year (bet £40 to make £70 profit).

Voler La Vedette has improved a lot this season, having won her first Grade 1 in the Hatton's Grace, and her second to Big Buck's rates as a career best performance. She will now go to Punchestown to take on another four-time Cheltenham Festival winner in Quevega, who picked up her fourth Mare's Hurdle this year. The mares will take each other on in the World Series Hurdle, and although Voler was beaten seven lengths by Quevega in this race last year, she has undoubtedly improved a lot since then. Paddy Power have price up the race, and make Quevega an 11/10 favourite, with Voler at 7/4. Voler is a best priced 12/1 with Sportingbet to go one better in the World Hurdle next year.

Paul Nicholls could have a live challenger to Big Buck's in his own stable in the form of Zarkandar, who finished fifth in the Champion Hurdle while looking like a step up in trip would suit. He will go for the Aintree Hurdle over two and a half miles next, where he will take on his stablemate, the Champion Hurdle winner Rock On Ruby. Zarkandar is a 7/2 chance with Paddy Power to win at Aintree, and is a best priced 14/1 with William Hill to win the World Hurdle next year.

Brindisi Breeze won the three mile Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle on the last day of the Festival, and he is a general 14/1 chance to win the World Hurdle next year. He looked very impressive in making all in that race, and is a very slick jumper of hurdles. Although his future may lie over fences, it must be very tempting for Lucinda Russell to have one more season over hurdles to have a crack at Big Buck's, especially as the Nicholls horse will be ten-years-old next year.

With Paul Nicholls' two Festival wins this year being the Champion Hurdle and the World Hurdle, and Nicky Henderson claiming the Champion Chase, the Arkle, the Ryanair Chase and the RSA Chase, it seems the balance of hurdlers and chasers has probably started to shift, and Nicholls may even have the most likely challenger to Big Buck's crown in Zarkandar. However, Zarkandar could be aimed at the Champion Hurdle next year, where he will have much more in his favour than this year, with an interrupted preparation and the fact that five-year-olds have a poor record in the race, both big negatives for his Champion Hurdle claims next year. A big challenger to Big Buck's will undoubtedly come of the woodwork at some point next season, and although the champ will be ten, he will be nigh on impossible to beat again next year.

Comment

Brindisi Breeze is going chasing too.

Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle winner Brindisi Breeze is to have a summer break before starting off over fences in the autumn.

The game front-runner was Lucinda Russell's first Cheltenham Festival success when taking his unbeaten record to four over hurdles and another appearance at Aintree had been under consideration.

However, the Kinross trainer told www.lucindarussell.com: "We have decided that Brindisi Breeze will not run again this season.

"He has been a fabulous first horse for Sandy (Seymour, owner), remaining unbeaten in four hurdle starts and winning the Albert Bartlett at Cheltenham.

"He will be schooled over fences before being turned out and will be prepared for novice chases next season."

Comment

Wayne ..

Smad still going places

I think that Smad Place will be super over fences next season. It was obviously unfortunate that he slipped up at Aintree on his final start but I schooled him last Thursday over hurdles and he is fine at home. I am sure he will go and see a fence now before he gets turned away for the summer and it will be very exciting to see him in staying novice chases next season.

Comment

World Hurdle
            11-8 Big Buck’s (sportingbet)
            8-1 Rite Of Passage (bet365, Stan James, Ladbrokes)
            16-1 Voler La Vedette (Stan James), Peddlers Cross (general)
            20-1 Get Me Out Of Here (Boylesports, Paddy Power, Stan James), Smad Place (general), Quevega (Stan James; 23-1, Betfair), Zarkandar (Stan James); 27-1, Betfair)
            25-1 Oscar Whisky (general; 37-1, Betfair), Thousand Stars (general; 61-1, Betfair)
            33-1 bar

Comment

The hazards on antepost "value" pretty obvious on this thread

Comment

Interesting thoughts from Dunwoody. Knows Willie too...

Onto the World Hurdle and with Big Buck's having scared the opposition away for the best part of four years all of a sudden, the race will start to appeal to certain horses and trainers.

Oscar Whisky, who seemingly didn't stay this trip in the race 12 months ago (fifth), has made an effortless start to his season so far with two easy wins and many feel he's a leading player being second favourite with most firms, while the former Ascot Gold Cup winner Rite Of Passage is another that's in single figures in the betting.

Last year's runner-up Voler La Vedette will certainly appeal to plenty at around 12/1, especially after the way she cruised up to Big Buck's in last season's race, but she'll need to put a few below-par runs behind her between now and March for me.

It is, however, another mare that most firms have now installed as the market leader - Quevega. Like Big Buck's had dominated the World Hurdle scene for the past four seasons Willie Mullins' charge has done exactly the same in the David Nicholson Mares' Hurdle. For many season's punters have been urging the Mullins camp to take on Big Buck's, but in a recent interview prior to the Big Buck's injury news her trainer openly stated that she'd be avoiding him again - saying why run in a Cheltenham race where we'll most likely finish second or third when we know we have a horse that has proven winning form in the mares' race?

It's hard to argue with that really, but now that Big Buck's is sadly injured then Mullins might have a re-think, and the bookmakers are certainly not taking any chances with some having her as short as 3/1 for the World Hurdle.

I suspect Mullins will have a few sleepless nights pondering things now, but if I were a backer - Big Buck's, or no Big Buck's - I'd still be thinking back to that interview with Willie and the fact he's got a virtual penalty-kick with Quevega in the mares' race with a Cheltenham win almost guaranteed. Knowing Willie I suspect connections might stick to the original plan - we'll see

Comment

Quevega will defend her crown in the Mares' Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival, trainer Willie Mullins has told race sponsors OLBG.

Speculation had been mounting that the outstanding eight-year-old would instead run in the Ladbrokes World Hurdle after four-time winner Big Buck's was ruled out for the season on Monday.

Many bookmakers had even installed her as the new favourite for the Grade One over three miles in March.

But Mullins said on Tuesday Quevega will again be primed for the mares-only race which she has won for the last four seasons.

"She'll be going for the OLBG and not the World Hurdle," the County Carlow handler told OLBG.

Comment

a twist in the tale already....

Willie

QUEVEGA on Tuesday became clear favourite for the Ladbrokes World Hurdle in the wake of the injury that has ruled out reigning champion Big Buck's for the season, but trainer Willie Mullins suggested the only way she would tackle the stayers' championship was if she were to run twice at the Cheltenham Festival.
                    & lt;p>

The eight-year-old, who was previously not quoted for the World Hurdle, is a general 5-1 shot but remains even-money favourite for the David Nicholson Mares' Hurdle, a race she would be bidding to win for the fifth successive time, which would equal Golden Miller's record of Cheltenham Festival wins set in the Gold Cup.

That record has been Mullins' aim since Quevega's fourth festival success in March and he made it clear that it remains the priority rather than the World Hurdle - Big Buck's or no Big Buck's.

He said: "I think we'll still go for the mares' hurdle. That's the best option, although she doesn't run too often during the year so maybe she could run twice - go for the mares' hurdle on Tuesday and then the World Hurdle on Thursday. We'll see closer to the time."
                    and Ruby

paddypoweraudioteam ‏@PPaudioteam

Ruby: " I haven't thought about it (What he would ride). I dont know if Quevega or Thousand Stars would be good enough" #Intriguing
                    Tidal Bay might be one Ruby fancies for this Wylie would surely love to win it again ( inglis drever and all that)

Comment

Dermot Weld has revealed it is "more likely" Rite Of Passage will be trained for next year's Gold Cup at Royal Ascot than take his chance in the Ladbrokes World Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival.

The master of Rosewell House produced one of his most magnificent training performances to nurse the 2010 Gold Cup hero back from injury to win the Qipco British Champions Long Distance Cup at Ascot in October, his first racecourse appearance in well over a year.

He has moved to prominence in ante-post lists for the World Hurdle following the shock news four-time winner Big Buck's will miss the rest of the season with injury but while Weld admits his charge could return to the jumping game one day, he does not believe he will head to Prestbury Park in March.

"He's back, he's sound, he's very well and in exercise daily. I spoke with Dr Lambe (owner) and we decided we'd have one more crack at the Gold Cup at Royal Ascot with him in 2013. That remains his target," Weld told At The Races.

"I will speak with Dr Lambe over Christmas about the possibility of rethinking about the long-distance hurdle (World Hurdle), but I think it's more likely we'll stick to our plan.

"He's a very talented horse. The only risk for the Gold Cup is the ground, that it could get too firm at Ascot in the summer time.

"We could always go back in 2014 and train him for the long-distance hurdle at Cheltenham. That was the decision and I would say we'll probably stick with it."

Comment

I like this preview. Fixed Brush Hurdle is worth following

The absence of Big Buck’s from the staying hurdling division leaves the biggest of holes. Looking at the reformed World Hurdle market, layers have understandably taken few chances given the uncertainties, pricing up a lot of horses pretty short. Most won’t run though, so if we can sift through them there’s a decent chance of some value, as much less analysis will have been done on this market.

Quevega (6/1) has the best form at 3m of those that remain, having won the Grade 1 at the Punchestown Festival for the last 3 years. I’d previously wondered whether Ruby Walsh had told connections she couldn’t beat Big Buck’s. However, even with him out of the way, they seem adamant that she’ll run in the egg and spoon mares race, (the chances of her lining up in both look remote.) It’s hard to imagine a more disappointing attitude but in the absence of any proper non runner, no bet prices, she can’t be backed now.

The other top class horse in the market is Oscar Whisky (7/1). He’s the best around 2½m but looked a blatant non-stayer in this last season. Nicky Henderson had been wondering whether he wasn’t right that day and seemed to be considering another crack at this even before Big Buck’s got injured. Whilst my guess is the ground will be good come March, the water table can hardly ever have been higher and any rain in the run up to the race would make this a slog, which wouldn’t suit. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the Champion instead so I can’t back him at a shortish price now.

The next 4 in the market are all fairly easy to oppose. Rite of Passage (10/1) hasn’t run over jumps for nearly 3 years and has hardly run on the level either. He’s very fragile and hard to fancy. Peddlers Cross (10/1) has looked a 2 miler to me so far and is under an injury cloud so can’t be fancied either. Voler La Vedette (12/1) has better claims in that she ran a stormer to be a clear 2nd last season and it might be she needs good ground now. However, she’s been a huge disappointment on both runs this season and it looks like those hard races last season may have taken their toll. You’d want to see a return to form before backing her. Grands Crus (12/1) is highly likely to stay chasing and is another under a cloud so is opposable at this stage.

In the absence of Quevega, Willie Mullins still has 3 realistic contenders. Zaidpour (12/1) is much the most likely winner. He was a good winner of the Hattons Grace over 2m4f last time and is unexposed at 3m. He apparently didn’t take to French obstacles in the summer but has won his 2 races in Ireland around the trip, (including beating Voler La Vedette in January), though neither tested his stamina properly. He might run in the 3m Grade 2 at Leopardstown over Christmas, which will tell us more. Given he also has shown a marked preference for really soft ground, there are too many doubts to back him at this stage, though he’s one to keep in mind for nearer the race.

Thousand Stars (20/1) tanked his way through the race last season and didn’t get home. Mullins has said he will miss the Festival, as he wants him fresh for the Aintree Hurdle (2m4f,) in which he’s been a close 2nd for the last two seasons. If he settled better I’d give him a chance in this but I can’t back him given that he’s unlikely to run.

I backed So Young (25/1) in the race last season where he failed to give his running. Interestingly, after working them both, Ruby wanted to ride him in the Hatton’s Grace but Willie Mullins talked him into choosing Zaidpour. So Young was going well into the straight at Fairyhouse but after getting the 2nd last all wrong he folded tamely. He might be a weak finisher, but I’m still open-minded. Arguably his best form is at 2m and I’m not sure he wants a test of stamina. He’s one to keep an eye on.

It’ll be interesting to see what Paul Nicholls runs in Big Buck’s absence. If he was trained by anyone else, I wouldn’t give Tidal Bay (16/1) any chance rising 12. Nicholls has sweetened him up beautifully and he was a good winner of the Grade 2 at Wetherby at the start of the season. However, he ran so well over fences when 2nd off top weight in the Hennessy, I think its more likely he’ll stay chasing so he can’t be backed now. Zarkandar (20/1) looks firmly headed for the Champion Hurdle. Wonderful Charm (20/1) won a strong looking Grade 2 novice hurdle in October over 2m4f and now has to move into open company. He’s a cracking prospect (highly regarded) but has a lot to prove on both form and stamina, and 5 year olds have a shocking record. Prospect Wells (25/1) is looking exposed as a decent handicapper and whilst well worth a try at 3m, doesn’t look likely to get the trip.

Get Me Out Of Here (16/1) is an interesting contender. He’s at his best in the spring and was an excellent 2nd off 155 in the Coral Cup last season. He was also 2nd off the same mark over 2m in the Betfair Hurdle and it wouldn’t surprise me if he proved best in a fast run race at 2m. Whilst he looks to still be improving rising 9, he doesn’t have the obvious sort of profile for this and given the stamina doubts I’m going to watch and wait.

It feels like a season where an unexposed young horse is going to show the big improvement required. There are 4 I’ve got my eye on at this stage. I backed Monksland (20/1) for the Neptune last season and was a bit disappointed to see him get outpaced so easily coming down the hill. He won a minor race over 2m on his comeback and then was 2½l 2nd to the much more experienced Zaidpour in the Hatton’s Grace. That was his first real race in open company and he could improve past the winner, especially on better ground (which Noel Meade was adamant last season he’d improve for.) He has plenty of options, (entered for the Istabraq over 2m at Christmas,) but if connections decide to give 3m a try he could easily make up a contender for this.

The second is Bear’s Affair, (20/1). He was well thought of before not seeming to take to chasing last season. Returned to hurdles he’s won both his starts in handicaps, bolting up over 2m4f at Ascot off 140 earlier in the month. He’s not tried further as yet and could easily be given another try over fences. He’d be worth considering if it looked like he was going to be campaigned as a 3m hurdler.

The other two are engaged in the Grade 1 Long Walk Hurdle on Saturday, Smad Place and Trustan Times. Prior to his Wetherby flop, Smad Place (12/1) would have been the obvious one for this. He was a really progressive 5 year old last season, winning off 144 and a good 2nd off 151, both over 2½m. He was then 8¾l 3rd to Big Buck’s in the World Hurdle. He was still going nicely at Aintree when coming to grief. He was really disappointing behind Tidal Bay last time though and I’d want to see him bounce back before backing him.

By contrast, Trustan Times (16/1) has been in great form, winning the Grade 3 fixed brush hurdle off 142 on his last run, (3m, soft). It’s hard to know the strength of that form yet but it’s usually a really hot contest – and he won off a higher mark than Grands Crus and Dynaste, albeit not as easily. He’s a really unexposed, progressive 6 year old and whilst he has to keep improving, he has loads of scope to do so.

The Long Walk looks a really weak Grade 1 unless Smad Place bounces back and 3/1 looks too big, albeit there’s a slight concern Trustan Times might be better gling left handed. He’ll be a lot shorter for the World Hurdle if he wins again at Ascot so he’s worth a small bet now and we can reassess the race again nearer the time

Comment

With Big Buck’s out, who do you fancy to win the World Hurdle?

PS: Peddlers Cross could be the one. Donald McCain’s seven-year-old has not run since disappointing behind Sir Des Champs in the Jewson Novices’ Chase and looks like being denied a comeback at Cheltenham tomorrow. But if he can recapture his 2011 Champion Hurdle runner-up form back over the smaller obstacles, he’s a player.

MT: With market* leaders Quevega, Oscar Whisky, Rite of Passage and Tidal Bay a mix of unlikely and uncertain runners, Noel Meade’s Leopardstown Christmas Hurdle winner Monksland, who was a hampered third to Simonsig in last season’s* Neptune Investments Novice Hurdle, is a strong stayer with solid frame claims.

Comment

David Pipe will give both Grands Crus and Dynaste entries in the Ladbrokes World Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival.

The talented greys were both beaten by Big Buck's in previous renewals, the former getting closest when runner-up in the 2011 contest.

And with Paul Nicholls' stable star out for the campaign, Pipe is leaving the World Hurdle door open for both horses when the entries are released on Thursday.

Dynaste, eighth in last year's race, has made a perfect start over fences with victories at Cheltenham, Kempton and Newbury this campaign propelling him to favouritism for the RSA Chase.

Grands Crus, meanwhile, made a similar impact as a novice chaser but his form took a dip when he was well beaten in the RSA Chase before being pulled up in the Paddy Power Gold Cup when sent off favourite on his seasonal reappearance.

He bounced back on his latest start, however, when third in the King George VI Chase at Kempton on his first outing since a wind operation.

"Both Dynaste and Grands Crus will get World Hurdle entries," Pipe told sportinglife.com.

"The entries are to keep all options open for both horses and final decisions will be made much nearer the Festival.

"Grands Crus is doing well, his run in the King George was fantastic and better than we could have expected. He'll have a run before the Festival, either in the Argento at Cheltenham, the Denman at Newbury or the two-mile-five race [Betfair Ascot Chase] at Ascot.

"Dynaste is in good form and he'll head to Newbury for a novice chase next month."

Sky Bet go 9/1 about Grands Crus for the Ladbrokes World Hurdle with Dynaste their 2/1 favourite for the RSA Chase.

Several other interesting names can also be expected to turn up among the World Hurdle entries, with Nicky Henderson telling the Racing Post that he intends to enter no less than eight horses for the contest.

"It's a funny race because if you look at the top end of it quite a lot of those are probably unlikely runners," he said. "Quevega is unlikely, we might try the Cleeve Hurdle for Oscar Whisky, but the top of the betting could fall apart, so you need to have all options covered."

Comment

Henderson entering 8 according to the Racing Post

Comment

Working...
                              X