Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Top Jockey/ Leading Rider at Cheltenham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Jockey/ Leading Rider at Cheltenham

Cant believe Barry said ....I’m gunning for your Cheltenham title!. Think they made that bit up

Barry Geraghty has warned his great rival and pal Ruby Walsh: “I’m gunning for your Cheltenham title!”

It’s nine years since Geraghty wore the top jockey crown at the Festival. Since then, he’s had to take a back seat as his fellow Irishman has racked up six trophies, including the last four.

Big-race triumphs on Kicking King (Gold Cup), Punjabi *(Champion Hurdle) and Moscow Flyer (Champion Chase) have *provided compensation but this week he senses a real chance of regaining the *prize awarded to the jockey who rides most winners at the four-day spectacular.

Bookies make him a 7-2 chance, with Walsh odds-on.

Geraghty said: “In terms of strength in depth it’s my best ever book of rides.

“Ruby is still the favourite because he’s got massive *backing from Paul Nicholls and Willie Mullins, but Nicky Henderson has got a terrific team too and that puts me right in the mix.”

Top of the pile is *novice Sprinter Sacre, described by Henderson as a “big, black aeroplane” and rated by the jockey as potentially the best horse he’s ever *ridden.

Geraghty added: “Sprinter Sacre looks like going off a hot favourite in the Arkle on the opening day and he’s my banker. Moscow Flyer was an outstanding two-mile chaser, but he wouldn’t have had this horse’s speed.

“What made Moscow special was his jumping – nothing could really live with him over fences – but Sprinter Sacre *appears to have it all.

“He’s *incredibly quick, not just on the ground but in the air as well. He takes lengths out of his rivals at every fence – that’s a huge advantage. So far, it’s been like driving a *Ferrari against Fiestas – he is that *superior. *Tuesday will be more of a test because it’s shaping up into a hot renewal, but he has the makings of a great champion.”

Geraghty’s other main hopes include Oscar Whisky (World Hurdle), Finian’s Rainbow (Champion Chase) and Bobs Worth (RSA Chase), plus he has a strong book of back-up rides, including Gold Cup *contender Burton Port, to maintain his challenge throughout the week.

He noted: “Oscar Whisky has a *phenomenon to beat in Big Buck’s, but if any horse is going to end his unbeaten record over hurdles, my fella would be the one.

“He’s only 7lb behind him in the official ratings, so it all hinges on whether he *improves for this first try at three miles.

“You don’t *finish third in a Champion Hurdle, *especially one as good as last year’s, *unless you’ve got class and speed. I’ve full confidence in his ability and very hopeful on the stamina front.

“Sizing Europe will also be tough to beat in defence of his Champion Chase crown, but Finian’s Rainbow *finished second in the Arkle last year and in my view would have won had he not raced too freely.

“He’s much more settled this season and I know he’s better than he looked at Ascot last time *because he didn’t give me quite the right feel. He’s working well.

“Bobs Worth is unbeaten at Cheltenham and won the Albert Bartlett at last year’s meeting, so must have a cracking chance in the RSA.

“He’s better suited by a *left-handed track.

“I bought him as a yearling and sold him on to Nicky, so to win again on him would be extra special.

Andrew Lynch decent ew bet in this.

Comment

Ruby a shoo in. Will we keep tabs here ?

Comment

Jason Maguire Leads after Day 1

Comment

looks like i got this wrong

JOCKEY WINS- 2NDS - 3RDS
          BARRY GERAGHTY 5-1-0
          JASON 2-1-1
          RUBY 2-0-2
          DAVY RUSSELL 1-2-1
          NOEL FEHILY 1-1-1
          RICHARD JOHNSON 1-0-1

Comment