Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2015 Ryanair Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Ryanair Chase

<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Npp6nh0A8C4Sec_vXgdFW5k5gv9HYbmVXNxOvfZpClM/pubhtml?gid=329721173&single=true&widget=true&head ers=false" height="800" width="720"></iframe>

Road to Riches an outsider for Ryanair ? Now rated 162 and tests that career high against Sizing Europe and a few more decent benchmarks at Gowran on Saturday.
    Last edited by Old Vic; 3 March 2015, 01:47 PM.

Originally posted by Morning Glory View Post
    Road to Riches an outsider for Ryanair ? Now rated 162 and tests that career high against Sizing Europe and a few more decent benchmarks at Gowran on Saturday.
    He is in the betting anyway MG. A Few random thoughts on contenders below...

Ryanair Odds at 1/10/14

Dynaste (6), obvious chance but Gold Cup also a possibility ?
    Simonsig (8), ditto...and possibly Queen Mum is Sprinter doesnt make it
    Taquin Du Seuil (10), might depend on how Holywell goes whether AP is available
    Uxizandre (12), surprised price is this short but a contender
    Ballycasey (14), fragile, suspect jumper, owner other options ?
    Champagne Fever (14), need to see some form first and may go further
    Abbyssial (16), interesting horse
    Benefficient (16), I thought he was retired ? Back at your peril
    Boston Bob (16), three miles looks more likely route
    Hidden Cyclone (16), likely contender - place possibilities
    Al Ferof (20), disappointing last year but think this is his trip ( paddy Power)
    Felix Yonger (20), not sure Cheltenham is his track
    Oscar Whisky (20), value in my view if he makes Cheltenham this will be his race
    Rajdhani Express (20), another with ew chance
    Road To Riches (20), definitely worth keeping an eye on..
    Smad Place (20), Gold Cup more likely
    Double Ross (25),
    Djakadam (33),
    Eduardo /Edward (33),
    Menorah (33),
    Module (33)

Comment

Interesting 2.5m chase at Gowran on Saturday. Added previous stats here http://www.fatjockey.com/news-blogs/...pion-Chase-304

Top horses all look like they could be aiamed for Ryanair in March. Quotes here:

Johnny Burke will partner Sizing Europe for the first time in public and he cannot wait to begin his association with a horse he describes as the 'complete champion.'

"I grew up watching Sizing Europe running and I have always loved the horse so to be actually riding him in a race is the equivalent of playing in an All-Ireland final for Cork in Croke Park for me. I never thought it could or would happen," said 18-year-old Burke.

He added: "I've been down to sit on Sizing Europe a few times now and he feels special. You would never know he is 12 years of age, that's for sure. He seems in brilliant order and he looks fantastic. Saturday can't come quick enough."

Amazingly, Sizing Europe will not even be the highest-rated runner in Saturday's line-up. Road To Riches has shot up to a mark of 162, 1lb higher than Sizing Europe, following his 11-length demolition job in the Galway Plate.

"Road To Riches was very good at Galway and we gave him a break in August," said trainer Noel Meade. "It's all systems go for Saturday at the moment but I wouldn't run him if it is too firm so I hope they get some rain. He'll be running in Graded races this season after what happened in Galway and I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on. I'm very happy with him."

Mouse Morris is also planning to unleash Baily Green in Saturday's showpiece at Gowran Park, as he revealed the 2013 Arkle runner-up is likely to be campaigned over longer trips this season.

"We will have to step him up in trip this season and I doubt you will be seeing him over two miles again. The intention is to run on Saturday and take it from there. He ran really well in the race last year and he's in good form going into it this time too," said Morris.

There are nine other possibles for the Grade 2 contest, including the 145-rated and former Powers Gold Cup winner Realt Mor.

Comment

The Speiler

The Paddy Power Gold Cup, (extended 2m4f, soft,) has been a great race for talented 2nd season chasers that hadn't had the chance to show their abilities in their novice season. Caid Du Berlais fitted that profile perfectly. He was 8lb lower than his hurdles mark on 143 and the talent he'd shown as a 5 year old in finishing 5¾l 3rd in the Martin Pipe off 143 and then ¼l 2nd off 145 at Aintree, suggested he ought to be well in if transferring his ability to chasing. He’d only had 3 chase starts and, perhaps because of that inexperience, was taken very wide throughout and left plenty to do on the run in - but showed a real turn of foot to get up close home.

Paul Nicholls is adamant that he's much better on a sound surface and he looks on a strong upward curve. Given that they went so steadily and finished in a heap, he'll be hard for the handicapper to assess and might remain on an attractive mark for the equivalent handicap here next month. The only other horse this century to win this after just 3 chase runs was Imperial Commander, (who won off 4lb lower). He won that seasons Ryanair and 25/1 looks much too big for Caid Du Berlais to emulate him.

Comment

Paddy Power Video

Paddy Power Gold Cup 2014

Comment

Rubys view

There were some really good performances to look back on – but I’m not sure that all will be repeated at the Festival next March.

Caid Du Berlais was a good winner of the Paddy Power Gold Cup and should improve on it. Lightly raced over fences, his fitness edge told over some of his rivals in that ground up Cleeve Hill.

The consensus seems to be that Johns Spirit run was the one to take from the race but I think Oscar Whisky’s was better.

Johnjo O’Neill’s runner had a prep race behind him while Oscar Whisky was making his seasonal debut. Stepping up to graded class is different gravy to a 2m 4f handicap where the pace of the race will be full on from half-way and harder to make up ground.

I’d expect Oscar Whisky to come out on top if they met at graded level.

Comment

Lydia

Johns Spirit’s doughty weight-carrying performance, spiked by his own late-pouncing tactics at the hands of Caid Du Berlais in the Paddy Power Gold Cup last Saturday, indicates that he has improved again this season. That’s impressive work from O’Neill, his trainer, and makes him a contender here.

However, I’m yet to be convinced that the New Course – the venue for the Ryanair – suits him as well as the Old Course at Cheltenham, which has played host to his best performances. That would be a major concern.

Oscar Whisky, his fellow top-weight in the Paddy Power, put up his most convincing chase effort yet in terms of jumping and coping with a large field when finishing fourth. A top-class hurdler back in 2012, he may have more to offer as a chaser this term. Although his last three Festival appearances have been poor, he was third in a Champion Hurdle and fourth in a Supreme.

Module, a distant fourth behind Uxizandre in the Shloer Chase, ran more encouragingly in first-time cheekpieces. He has a close-but-no-cigar Festival record and is worth a try at this race but, even at his best, you fear the result will be similar in this grade.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>39 in the Ryanair <a href="http://t.co/khUxYGYIle">http://t.co/khUxYGYIle</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cheltfest?src=hash">#Cheltfest</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LovetheJumps?src=hash">#LovetheJumps</a> <a href="http://t.co/k2n041FOrP">pic.twitter.com/k2n041FOrP</a></p>&mdash; Fat Jockey (@FatJockeyTips) <a href="https://twitter.com/FatJockeyTips/status/553175012027691008">January 8, 2015</a></blockquote>
                <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

Captain Conan lives but no sign of Simonsig.

Comment

Originally posted by mayo View Post
                    Captain Conan lives but no sign of Simonsig.
                    Out for the season....

Simonsig is unlikely to be seen this season after the grey suffered a setback in his bid to comeback from injury for the first time since the 2013 Festival.

The nine-year-old grey has been off since winning the Arkle Trophy two seasons back mainly due to a splint problem.

He was back in work after Christmas as trainer Nicky Henderson loosely focused on a return to Prestbury Park.

Simonsig has not been entered in any of the Championship races at this year’s Festival, and although later targets such as Punchestown are possibilities the Seven Barrows handler questioned whether it would be worth the effort.

“What would be coming back for?,” Henderson told Racing UK. “Unfortunately we are up against it, and we won’t be ready for Cheltenham. We’ll just have to bite the bullet.

“We were back in work, but we have found it hard to get going.

“There has been an issue with his bones, with one particular bit with a shadow on it that needs to be re-examined. He’ll have a month off but the plan is very much to get going when he is ready.”

Finian’s Rainbow and Captain Conan worked together on grass on Saturday and on Tuesday and could represent Henderson in the Game Spirit Chase at Newbury on February 7.

“They are both in great shape and the Game Spirit may come into play,” Henderson added. “Finian’s probably needs good ground and might need further than two miles these days.”

Comment

I have had a bet on Uxizandre - has performed well on the course. Last run was rubbish but think market has overreacted.
                      Last edited by Guest; 11 January 2015, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Cracking race tomorrow Fever versus the Don

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Not long to go until the Kinloch Brae! Pick the winner using our free Race Pass&gt; <a href="http://t.co/94C8SYJQjh">http://t.co/94C8SYJQjh</a> <a href="http://t.co/L7wVx7qmVf">pic.twitter.com/L7wVx7qmVf</a></p>&mdash; Timeform (@Timeform1948) <a href="https://twitter.com/Timeform1948/status/555734249811509250">January 15, 2015</a></blockquote>
                          <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

I was impressed with Don Cossack today, jumped well in the main, just a small mistake at 2nd last but then ran on strongly at the finish off what looked a good pace.If he gets to cheltenham in one piece will serve it up to Dynaste and co,7/1 looks a tatsy bet!

Comment

Originally posted by iainmcf View Post
                              I was impressed with Don Cossack today, jumped well in the main, just a small mistake at 2nd last but then ran on strongly at the finish off what looked a good pace.If he gets to cheltenham in one piece will serve it up to Dynaste and co,7/1 looks a tatsy bet!
                              He is a proper tool. Young Bryan could have a big meeting.

Comment

Working...
                              X