Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Irish National 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish National 2014

First one from a Donn

Cause Of Causes

Spring Heeled was a good winner of the Kim Muir Chase on Thursday, but it is difficult to think that runner-up Casue Of Causes would not have won had he jumped the final fence a little better.

Spring Heeled led from flagfall, and put up a huge front-running performance, whereas Cause Of Causes was held up towards the rear and towards the outside by Nina Carberry. He wasn’t exuberant at his fences, he is a fairly small horse and he is never going to be really impressive at his obstacles, and he was a little stuttery at one or two, but he was generally safe. He was hampered a little when Tabhachtach unseated his rider beside him at the 14th fence, and he wasn’t helped by the loose horse on the run to the fourth last, nor by Buddy Bolero’s fall at that fence, but he still moved nicely in behind the leaders on the run down to the third last fence.

He travelled really well into the home straight, jumped into second place at the second last, and moved menacingly in behind the leader on the run to the last. An adequate jump at that fence would surely have seen him home, but he got in tight and blundered, losing ground and energy and momentum. In fairness to JP McManus’ horse, he did recover his equilibrium and he did get after Spring Heeled, but it never looked likely that he would catch him, although he did close the gap to less than two lengths at the line.

Beaten a short head in the Paddy Power Chase at Leopardstown on his previous run off a 7lb lower mark, this was another step up from the Gordon Elliott-trained gelding, and he proved here that he could stay three and a quarter miles on good ground.

The handicapper has raised him 6lb, but that still leaves him on a mark of 146, 6lb lower than his peak over hurdles and just 4lb higher than the mark off which he won the Ladbroke Hurdle as a four-year-old in December 2012. He is still only six, and this was just his eighth run over fences, so he still has scope to progress further. He could be an Irish National horse, although the big Fairyhouse fences may not be the thing for him. He might be seen to better effect in the Scottish National.

13th March 2014

Senior NH Handicapper Noel O'Brien points to Gallant Oscar & Home Farm as his @Boylesports IGN selections @Fairyhouse

Comment

Cause Of Causes (12), Tammys Hill (12), Home Farm (14), Daring Article (16), Double Seven (16), Gallant Oscar (16), Goonyella (16), Living Next Door (16), Shutthefrontdoor (16), Spring Heeled (16), Suntiep (16), Foxrock (20), Mullaghanoe River (20), My Murphy (20), Pass The Hat (20), Pendra (20), The Westener Boy (20), Touch The Eden (20), Alfie Sherrin (25), Away We Go (25)

Spring Heeled has right kind of profile ?

Comment

Last edited by Old Vic; 9 April 2014, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Weights set to go up. Top 5/6 all pulled out.

Comment

The Irish National is a lottery for me so I'm going 5 against the field; Goonyella, Tammys Hill, Cause Of Causes, Sraid Padraig and Pendra. Probably still won't get the winner . Not a lucky race for me.

Comment

This says it all. My original post on my other forum
              Originally posted by Ron
              The Irish National is a lottery for me so I'm going 5 against the field; Goonyella, Tammys Hill, Cause Of Causes, Sraid Padraig and 1 other. If stick says Pendra is expected to appreciate the extra trip and run well then that's my 5th. If not I'll throw in Shutthefrontdoor
              I don't believe it

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
                This says it all. My original post on my other forum I don't believe it
                Did you put him in Ron ?

It was a super ride from Barry. Delighted that he finally won this. Fairyhouse is his local track and it was the biggest race missing from his resume. He hadn't won the Powers Gold Cup or Lexus before this season either so starting to close down the gaps on his CV. Galway Plate and Hurdle two biggest Irish Races misses from his CV now. Has gone close in those but never landed a blow in the National before.

Don't think there is any jumps trainer with more momentum than Jonjo at the minute. With a few more horses I think he could give the title a real rattle next year. He has delivered for JP this year so would expect he will get a lorry load of recruits from that source.

Comment

Working...
                X