Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Imperial Cup 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imperial Cup 2014

anything to beat Regal Encore ?

Nice wrap up from Barry G

I’ve had a good look at the Imperial Cup at Sandown (3.15 Saturday) field which is considerably smaller than usual but I don’t think finding the winner will be any easier.

It’s a tough call for the Seven Barrows representative, Fourth Estate, who ran up a winning sequence in his first four starts in 2011 and 2012 but hasn’t been the easiest and has had just two runs since. The last was in November but if the ground got a bit better it would help him.

Most people have latched on to two of the novices in the race, Regal Encore and Vibrato Valtat, and it’s easy to see why as both are improving so they sit with attractive marks.

If you base your assessment of Regal Encore on the form book then he looks outstanding on his last run when he finished second to Seeyouatmidnight in December.

People might have been disappointed then but now that the winner is rated 155, it makes Regal Encore look pretty attractive off 130.

Just a slight word of caution, though.

The horse that finished third off 119, Tikkanmickey, has been beaten in his two outings since and has dropped to 117 and Regal Encore’s trainer hasn’t had a winner since mid-December and while those sort of runs have to end sometime, it is a slight concern.

He’s got the County Hurdle entry at Cheltenham next week which gives him the option of the £100,000 bonus double and so has Vibrato Valtat who represents Paul Nicholls.

This one did well on his latest run at Exeter when he beat Tiqris three lengths in a listed novice hurdle on heavy ground so no worries on that score and it looked as though Tiqris would have won when he was brought down at Newbury last Saturday.

He still looks attractive to me off 130.

But I’m going to toss one in that I rode at the festival the season before last and ran a good second in the Champion Bumper, New Years Eve.

It’s got to have been one of the best runnings of the race in recent years with horses like The New One and Jezki finishing behind and he showed me plenty of pace that day and stayed.

He didn’t match that kind of form in his first season over hurdles and was disappointing but he’d gradually been getting there this season and has won his last two, the latest over two and a half miles at Market Rasen so he should stayed well in a race where stamina is going to be important.

If John Ferguson has left a bit of improvement in him then he might just represent a bit of value off 130.
    At The Races – Digital partner to Sky Sports Racing. Get horse racing news, video replays, racecards, results, form, tips, features and odds comparison.

Comment

could be start of good week for the pipes

Comment

Working...
      X