Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Jonjo O'Neill Festival Horses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonjo O'Neill Festival Horses

Chasers

Alfie Sherrin
    11 b g Kayf Tara - Mandys Native (IRE) (Be My Native (USA))
    Form: 11/310/413P/PF7513/374-4 Owner: J P McManus Breeder: Mrs J Egan

Jonjo O'Neill said: "At the moment, he won't get in the Baylis & Harding Affordable Luxury Handicap Chase (2.40pm, Champion Day, Tuesday, March 11), which has put a bit of a blocker on it. He has got a bit of wind problem and his joints can cause problems so he is not the easiest horse to keep sound. But he is in great form at the moment and I have not run him because of the heavy ground. Hopefully, we have done the right thing and kept him fresh. He has done a lot of work. We hope to run him at The Festival."

*Bumper and hurdle winner for Paul Nicholls.
    *Lightly raced since winning the Baylis & Harding Affordable Luxury Handicap Chase at the 2012 Festival for current connections.
    *Third behind Lion Na Bearnai in the following month's Irish Grand National at Fairyhouse.
    *Fourth to Same Difference in last season's Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Handicap Chase at The Festival and filled the same spot on his seasonal return in the Betfair Fixed Brush Handicap Hurdle at Haydock Park in November.
    *Entered in Baylis & Harding Affordable Luxury Handicap Chase and Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Handicap Chase.
    Race record: Starts: 19; Wins: 5; 2nd: -; 3rd: 4; Win & Place Prize Money: £93,367

Johns Spirit (IRE)
    7 b g Gold Well - Gilt Ridden (IRE) (Heron Island (IRE))
    Form: 213122361/58126733-115 Owner: Christopher Johnson
    Breeder: Arctic Tack Stud & Crossogue Stud

Jonjo O'Neill said: "He is in great form - he worked brilliantly the other morning. The reason he hasn't run is he keeps getting sore shins. He was fired and blistered after his last race so we have done a proper job on him. The owner has been away until now so it has suited us not to run him. He has got stronger this season and is much happier in himself. He goes well for Richie (McLernon) and they suit each other. I would blame the shins for his last run. He was sore after the Paddy Power and we struggled to get him back for the race in December. He ran well off a higher rating and it is a hard thing to do - win both the Paddy Power and that race. You need to come out of the Paddy Power flying and he came out sore. It is a hard race, the Paddy Power. He is working fantastically at the minute and I hope it stays that way for the next two weeks. He goes for the Byrne Group Plate (4pm, St Patrick's Thursday, March 13). He likes Cheltenham."

* Won a bumper easily at Newton Abbott in August, 2011.
    *Progressive over hurdles during the 2011/2012 season, winning two of his seven starts over obstacles.
    *Won one of eight outings over fences last term and ran some good races in defeat including when second to Katenko at Sandown in January.
    *Finished seventh in the Rewards4Racing Novices' Handicap Chase at The Festival and then came third in competitive handicaps at Aintree and Ayr in April.
    *Returned this season with an easy success in a two and a half mile handicap chase at The Showcase in October and followed that up with a three quarters of a length victory in the valuable Paddy Power Gold Cup at The Open in November.
    *Failed in bid for a three-timer in Cheltenham handicaps when fifth in the Stewart Family Thank You Gold Cup at The International on December 14.
    *Entered in Byrne Group Plate.
    Race record: Starts: 20; Wins: 6; 2nd: 4; 3rd: 4; Win & Place Prize Money: £166,480

Hurdlers

More Of That (IRE)
    6 b g Beneficial - Guigone (FR) (Esprit Du Nord (USA))
    Form: 1-111 Owner: J P McManus Breeder: Eleanor Hadden

Jonjo O'Neill said: "He is in good shape and it looks like he will stay the three miles of the Ladbrokes World Hurdle (3.20pm St Patrick's Thursday, March 13). He won at Haydock because he stayed. Do I have a doubt in my mind? Well, I think he will stay, though going to Cheltenham for The Festival is a hard thing to do, they don't hang around and the finish is up a hill. We don't really know. I am not totally sure he will go for the World Hurdle but he is ready and I would think Richie (McLernon) will ride him. Richie won on him first time out and knows the horse well. More Of That is a good traveller in his races but it makes me nervous that he has not raced over three miles before - it is going into the unknown. He is a fair horse but how strong is his form? I would imagine A P (McCoy) will ride At Fisher's Cross but he will come to ride work this week and next week and make his mind up. I hope he rides ours."

*Sibling of smart Jump performers Chamirey, Eastlake and Santenay.
    *Belied a starting price of 20/1 to win in facile fashion on hurdling debut at Folkestone in December, 2012.
    *Scored on seasonal return in a two and a half mile handicap at Wetherby on November 2, before following up in a competitive affair over the same trip at Haydock Park later the same month.
    *Took a big step forward when beating Salubrious decisively by two and a quarter lengths in the Grade Two Osborne House Relkeel Hurdle over an extended two and a half miles at Cheltenham on December 14.
    *Entered in Ladbrokes World Hurdle.
    Race record: Starts: 4; Wins: 4; 2nd: -; 3rd: -; Win & Place Prize Money: £54,775

Novice chasers

Holywell
    7 b g Gold Well - Hillcrest (IRE) (Thatching)
    Form: 31/2222124-32U11 Owner: Gay Smith Breeder: Patrick Doyle

Jonjo O'Neill said: "I am not too sure yet in which race he will run because the handicapper gave him 145 and he beat a horse at Doncaster rated 132. So I don't know where he got the handicap mark from. We will see. He might even go back to hurdles for the World Hurdle."

*£70,000 purchase at the Brightwells Cheltenham Sale in November, 2011, after winning an Irish point-to-point by 15 lengths.
    *Captured a maiden hurdle at Chepstow in February, 2012.
    *Finished second on four subsequent starts over hurdles, including in the valuable Fixed Brush Handicap Hurdle at Haydock Park in November, 2012, before a length and a half success in the Pertemps Network Final at The Festival last year.
    *Also second to Solwhit in Grade One Liverpool Hurdle at Aintree's Grand National meeting.
    *Won on two of his five starts in novices' chases this season, including when scoring over three miles at Doncaster on February 19.
    *Entered in Baylis & Harding Affordable Luxury Handicap Chase, Terry Biddlecombe National Hunt Chase, RSA Chase, Ladbrokes World Hurdle and Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Handicap Chase.
    Race record: Starts: 14; Wins: 4; 2nd: 6; 3rd: 2; Win & Place Prize Money: £114,094

Taquin Du Seuil (FR)
    7 b/br g Voix Du Nord (FR) - Sweet Laly (FR) (Marchand De Sable (USA))
    Form: 12116-11321 Owner: Martin Broughton & Friends 1 Breeder: Marc Boudot

Jonjo O'Neill said: "He will get a proper gallop in the JLT. Obviously, there is not much between Oscar Whisky and Taquin Du Seuil. Oscar would have more pace but Taquin is a good horse and, as long as the ground does not dry out too much, he will run well. He is best on soft ground, though I will run him on good ground.

"I know he likes a good pace in his races and I could not have him in better shape - he is in really good form.

"I am very happy with my fellow and, last time, there was not much between him and Oscar (three quarters of a length) at Cheltenham and they were some 15 lengths ahead of the third.

"He jumps well, he travels well and he does everything well. His run at The Festival last year was not his form but he has run well at Cheltenham over fences since so I don't think it was the course."

*Winner on the Flat in France for Christophe Provot.
    *Developed into top-class novice hurdler last season, winning on three of his five starts including the Grade One Challow Hurdle at Newbury in December, 2012.
    *Sixth behind The New One in the Grade One Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle at The Festival, beaten 17 lengths.
    *Scored on first two starts over fences, including when outbattling Oscar Whisky in the Steel Plate And Sections Novices' Chase over an extended two and a half miles at Cheltenham on November 15.
    *Third to Hinterland in Grade One Henry VIII Novices' Chase at Sandown on December 7 and second to Oscar Whisky in the Grade Two Cheltenham Pony Club Raceday Novices' Chase on New Year's Day, but back to winning ways with impressive 17-length success in a two and a half mile Grade Two event at Haydock Park on January 18.
    *Entered in RSA Chase and JLT Novices' Chase.
    Jump race record: Starts: 10; Wins: 6; 2nd: 2; 3rd: 1; Win & Place Prize Money: £81,903

Novice/juvenile hurdlers

Goodwood Mirage (IRE)
    4 b c Jeremy (USA) - Phantom Waters (Pharly (FR))
    Form: -165 Owner: Lady Bamford & Alice Bamford Breeder: Mrs Chris Harrington

See introduction for Jonjo O'Neill's comments.

*Won two of his eight starts on the Flat (rated 99) for William Knight before being knocked down for 380,000 guineas at the Tattersalls Horses-In-Training Sale in October.
    *Got off the mark at the first time of asking over hurdles with a short-head victory at Kempton Park on January 11.
    *Trailed home last behind Le Rocher in the Grade Two JCB Triumph Hurdle Trial at Cheltenham on January 25, but shaped better in a first time hood when fifth to Activial in the Grade Two Adonis Juvenile Hurdle at Kempton Park on February 22, beaten nine and quarter lengths.
    *Entered in Fred Winter Juvenile Handicap Hurdle and JCB Triumph Hurdle.
    Jump race record: Starts: 3; Wins: 1; 2nd: -; 3rd: -; Win & Place Prize Money: £5,038

Mountain Tunes (IRE)
    5 br g Mountain High (IRE) - Art Lover (IRE) (Over The River (FR))
    Form: -11 Owner: J P McManus Breeder: Neil Tector

Jonjo O'Neill said: "To me, he will be a lovely horse next season over fences. Whether he will run at The Festival, I don't know."

*Purchased for £75,000 at the Brightwells Cheltenham Sale in April, 2013, after winning a point-to-point at Tyrella, Ireland, in March.
    *Finished strongly to give 18-time champion Jump jockey A P (Tony) McCoy his 4,000th winner in a two mile and five furlong novices' hurdle at Towcester on November 7.
    *Followed up over the same course and distance on December 19, scoring by a neck.
    *Entered in Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle.
    Race record: Starts: 2; Wins: 2; 2nd: -; 3rd: -; Win & Place Prize Money: £6,238

Entries by race at The Festival

Champion Day, Tuesday, March 11

Baylis & Harding Affordable Luxury Handicap Chase
    Shutthefrontdoor (11st)
    Holywell (10st 13lb)
    Burton Port (10st 9lb)
    Twirling Magic (10st 10lb)
    Dursey Sound (10st 5lb)
    Alfie Sherrin (10st 2lb)

Terry Biddlecombe National Hunt Chase
    Dursey Sound
    Holywell
    Shutthefrontdoor
    Jonjo O'Neill said: "Shutthefrontdoor is a possibility, but he is also in the RSA Chase. We will have to wait and see what Frank (Berry, racing manager to owner J P McManus) says. He might not have the experience for the handicap race at the moment but he is a nice horse and in great form at the minute."

Rewards4Racing Novices' Handicap Chase
    Dursey Sound (11st 7lb)
    Festive Affair (11st 4lb)
    Lost Legend (10st 8lb)
    Foundation Man (10st 4lb)

Ladies Day, Wednesday, March 12

RSA Chase
    Holywell
    Shutthefrontdoor
    Taquin Du Seuil

Coral Cup
    Get Me Out of Here (11st 6lb)
    Rum And Butter (11st 2lb)
    Open Day (10st 7lb)
    Alaivan (10st 4lb)
    Another Hero (9st 13lb)
    Prompter (9st 11lb)
    Jonjo O'Neill said: "Alaivan is in the Coral Cup and I think he will be better over further. He was staying in the Betfair when the race was over. I would imagine that this is the race he will go for."

Fred Winter Juvenile Handicap Hurdle
    Goodwood Mirage (10st 13lb)
    Rayak (10st 2lb)

St Patrick's Thursday, March 13

JLT Novices' Chase
    Taquin Du Seuil

Pertemps Network Final Handicap Hurdle
    Josies Orders (11st)
    Open Day (10st 13lb)
    Upswing (10st 10lb)
    Milan Bound (10st 3lb)
    Jonjo O'Neill said: "Josies Orders, Open Day and Upswing will hopefully all get in and they will run if they do."

Ladbrokes World Hurdle
    Holywell
    More Of That

Byrne Group Plate Handicap Chase
    Johns Spirit (10st 12lb)
    Eastlake (10st 11lb)
    Dursey Sound (10st 1lb)
    Festive Affair (9st 12lb)

Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Challenge Cup Chase
    Holywell (11st 12lb)
    Twirling Magnet (11st 9lb)
    Burton Port (11st 8lb)
    Lost Glory (11st 6lb)
    Dursey Sound (11st 4lb)
    Alfie Sherrin (11st 1lb)
    Titchwood (10st 8lb)

Gold Cup Day, Friday, March 14

JCB Triumph Hurdle
    Goodwood Mirage

Vincent O'Brien County Handicap Hurdle
    Get Me Out of Here (11st 6lb)
    Alaivan (10st 4lb)
    Prompter (9st 11lb)
    Get Back In Line (9st 11lb)
    Hawaii Five Nil (9st 6lb)
    Jonjo O'Neill said: "Get Me Out Of Here is in the County and the Coral and he will run probably in the County. He ran very well over two miles at Cheltenham in December. He has been beaten in both races previously and it will depend on what other horses J P (McManus) has running. He is great shape at the moment. He is another one who is so difficult to keep right - he has more problems than I have!"

Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle
    Mountain Tunes

Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys' Handicap Hurdle
    Rum And Butter (11st 9lb)
    Open Day (11st)
    Alaivan (10st 11lb)
    Another Hero (10st 6lb)
    Get Back In Line (10st 4lb)
    Prompter (10st 4lb)
    Carlton Jack (10st 4lb)
    Whisky Yankee (9st 11lb)

Johnny Henderson Grand Annual Chase
    Eastlake (10st 13lb)
    Festive Affair (10st)
    Jonjo O'Neill said: "Eastlake will go for the Johnny Henderson. He has been running well this season - he would be better with a bit better ground as it won't catch his wind so much. He is what he is but he likes Cheltenham which helps."

Comment

Comment

another one

Comment

Comment

Working...
          X