Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Davy Russell Best Bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davy Russell Best Bits

I know he is far from finished but a few highlights from Gigginstown years here:

Weapons Amnesty RSA Chase:

Last edited by Guest; 1 January 2014, 11:56 AM.

2013 Punchestown Gold Cup Sir Des Champs

Comment

2012 Jewson Sir Des Champs

Comment

2013 Hennessy Sir Des Champs

Comment

Interview - rival jockeys

Comment

2011 JNWine Chase

Comment

Probably hard to find positives but will be free to ride Solwhit again.

Dont see any case for replacing him on Sir Des either. His Cheltenham Festival chase record a good bit better than Ruby's lately.

Comment

Originally posted by gigginstown View Post
                Probably hard to find positives but will be free to ride Solwhit again.

Dont see any case for replacing him on Sir Des either. His Cheltenham Festival chase record a good bit better than Ruby's lately.
                On chasers I'd be happier with Davy. Ruby will probably get pick of hurdlers and novices though.

Comment

Heard the rumours earlier in year but thought he was so engrained into operation that he would tough it out. I think they are pretty tough with trainers too - fail to meet performance targets and you get dropped from their roster. Weight definitely part of it and has been a bit unlucky with injuries this year too.

Daily Star piece here ...

CHAMPION jockey Davy Russell said last night that he was “shocked” and “disappointed” after being axed as number one jockey to Michael O’Leary, writes David Coughlan.
                  The two-time champion from Youghal was informed by the Ryanair boss at Punchestown, minutes after guiding Rogue Angel to victory for the wealthy owner.
                  A shortlist of five possible replacements has been lined up, with Kerry jockey Bryan Cooper tipped as the leading contender.
                  Russell will ride today for Gigginstown at Tramore and is expected to wear the maroon silks in the future, but is no longer the number one for O’Leary.
                  There is no severance payment involved, as Russell was not contracted on a salary to Gigginstown during their six-year arrangement.
                  “We had a great relationship, some great days. It’s disappointing for sure, but that’s sport,” said Russell last night.
                  “We sat down for a cup of tea after the first race at Punchestown and he told me that I was no longer retained rider to Gigginstown.
                  “I suppose I was a bit shocked to be honest. I asked him if there was anything I could do to make him change his mind and he said there wasn’t, so we shook hands and that was that.
                  “Michael had made his mind up, so that’s the end of it.”
                  Russell rode at his minimum weight of 10 stone 8lb in the Paddy Power Chase at Leopardstown last week on Panther Claw.
                  Championship rival Walsh was able to make 10st 3lb for the winning ride on Rockyaboya.
                  Russell has been unable to take the mount on several Gigginstown runners in big handicaps due to his weight over the last number of seasons.
                  However, in the last two years he landed two successive jockey’s championships and several Grade One winners for Gigginstown, including a Hennessy and Punchestown Gold Cup double with Sir Des Champs last season.
                  “Maybe I pushed the boat out with 10stone 8lb as a minimum, I don’t know. But I thought I was riding well,” said the 34-year-old.
                  “My win ratio was good, but there you go, Michael maybe wasn’t happy with my performance.”
                  Cooper, stable jockey to Dessie Hughes, had been viewed as number two in the pecking order with Gigginstown in recent times.

Bryan Cooper – pictured with trainer Gordon Elliott – is strongly tipped to become Gigginstown’s No.1 rider
                  The 21-year-old steered First Lieutenant to Grade One glory at Aintree last year when Russell was without a licence to ride in Britain, a situation that has since been resolved.
                  And last week the Kerryman rode a winner at Leopardstown, doing just 10st.
                  “When you ride for a big operation like Gigginstown you are under pressure to perform every day. Every ride, regardless of competition,” said Russell.
                  “I got to ride some really nice horses over the last few years for him and I’d have no problem riding for Gigginstown again in the future.
                  “I was with him for a long time and we’ve shared some wonderful days, big winners at Cheltenham and elsewhere.
                  “There are many good trainers and owners who have supported me over the years and, over the last few years I haven’t been able to ride for many of them.
                  “Hopefully now I will be able to restart those relationships as a freelance.”
                  Russell rode his 1,000th career winner last week at Leopardstown on Sea Light for Charles Byrnes.
                  He was ruled out of the plum Gold Cup ride on Sir Des Champs at Cheltenham last March in dramatic circumstances after suffering a spontaneous collapsed lung.
                  The Corkman subsequently missed the start of this season, but was still lying second in the table for the jockey’s championship this season with 49 winners and a win-percentage of 20 per cent.
                  On Saturday he rode Gold Cup hope Sir Des Champs to finish fourth in the Lexus Chase at Leopardstown and connections were believed to be happy with the performance.
                  However, after guiding the Mouse Morris-trained Rogue Angel to victory in the opening race at Punchestown yesterday, the 34-year-old was informed by O’Leary that he was ending their six-year arrangement.
                  Having made his name on the point-to-point circuit where he won two titles (sharing one with JT McNamara), Russell moved to Ferdy Murphy’s yard across the water in 2002 where he stayed for a couple of seasons.
                  He accepted the job as first jockey to O’Leary in September 2007 and steered Weapon’s Amnesty to back-to-back Cheltenham Festival wins in 2009 and 2010.
                  Over the last decade O’Leary’s maroon colours have risen to become the dominant force in Irish racing alongside JP McManus’s hooped silks.

Comment

10st 8lbs a limiting factor in big handicap chases. JP has been mopping them up this year too.

Comment

Two Gigginstown Cheltenham winners in this one of Irish winners from 2011

Comment

Joes Edge would be one Id like to see again. Anyone got a link ?

Comment

Good find Vic

Comment

Think this might be his best bit Solwhit beats the Fly. Ignore first 30 seconds of video.

Comment

Mayo, do you think he's better on the chasers than Ruby or just that he has more experience wit those chasers?

Comment

Working...
                              X