Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Philip Hobbs Stable Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philip Hobbs Stable Tour

Got an e-mail from a mate with 177 pages of Stable Tours

I will stick them up on here if Ok ?

Phillip Hobbs

Al Alfa Pedigree: six-year-old gelding, Alflora (sire) - Two For Joy (dam) Owner: James Drummond Form 412-1U3 Racing Post Rating 122c, Official rating 119c Has adapted well to chasing and is two from five over fences – it should be three from five as he was very unlucky at Wincanton, going strongly in front when slipping on landing four out. I probably ran him again too soon when he disappointed at Stratford on Saturday and I hope he’ll get back on track in a month or so. He has really impressed with his sound jumping and I hope he’ll continue to progress in 3m handicaps.

Allthekingshorses 7g King’s Theatre - Penny Brae R Triple H 851/32F- RPR 127c, OR 125c Sustained a nasty cut on his near-hind when falling at Newbury in January, which took a lot longer to heal than we thought it would. Still a novice for this season, although hopefully not for much longer. Maybe hasn’t been foot-perfect at his fences up to now but I don’t think it’s a problem. Stays really well.

Arthurian Legend 8g Alflora - Be My Adelina Ralph Kanter and Alastair Scrimgeour 0/232P-4 RPR 135c, OR 132c Despite some decent efforts he’s taking a long time to win a chase and so far hasn’t progressed as I’d hoped over Optimism high as string return to rude health fences. Considering he has such a good first-time-out record and goes so well at Chepstow [form figures of 3111322], it was disappointing he failed to put his best foot forward there on Saturday, for whatever reason. The owners are keen to go back over hurdles.

August Hill 5m Presenting - Nuit Des Chartreux Caren Walsh and Kathleen Quinn 252-5 RPR 101b It’s a shame she didn’t manage to win a bumper, as she’s related to Voy Por Ustedes and a bumper success would have substantially increased her value as a broodmare. She definitely had the ability to win one, but her return effort was typical in that she pulled too hard; it’s in her nature to be a bit keen and stressy and until we manage that she’s not going to fulfil her potential. We’ll try hurdles now and it will probably be best to jump her off in front and let her make the running.

Ballygarvey 7g Laveron - Vollore The Dark Horse Syndicate 61P115- RPR 142c, OR 138c He starts the season two stone higher than he was 12 months ago, which is a hell of a lot, so let’s hope he doesn’t pay the penalty for having done so well last season when he won three chases. Despite winning twice over 2m4f we think he may be best at around 2m on soft ground. I hope that’s the case because off his rating the shorter races are not as competitive as those over 2m4f. Now the rain has come he’s a possibility for a 2m handicap chase at Ascot on Saturday; considering the ground was livelier than he’d have liked, he ran well in a novice handicap there on his final outing last season.

Ballytober 7g Kahyasi - Full Of BirdsDiana Whateley 712FP-0 RPR 132h, OR 127h Was originally bought with chasing in mind and now goes over fences following a breathing operation during the summer. He lost his form over hurdles in the spring – a lot of ours weren’t right at the time – and as he looks more of a chaser I am optimistic that over fences we’ll see some improvement in him. Berkeley Barron 5g Subtle Power - Roseabel Mrs Peter Prowting 7/81-24 RPR 133h, OR 130h Lovely big sort for chasing but I was hoping he ought to win again over hurdles first. He was still green on his first run back at Chepstow over 2m4f, getting too far back, then running on but looking awkward at his hurdles, and he ran a similar race back there on Saturday. Clearly has breathing issues and we’ll get his palate cauterized; he could be back in a month. On his pedigree and running style he should find 3m within his compass this season.

Bertie Boru 6g Brian Boru - Sleeven Lady Unity Farm Holiday Centre Ltd 97/5635-2 RPR 121h, OR 120h Still a maiden over hurdles after four runs. I’d been struggling to find a maiden or novice hurdle in which I thought he had a realistic winning chance, so I ended up running him in a 3m handicap and he ran well. We could see him over fences next.

Big Easy 6g Ransom O’War - Basilea Gold Terry Warner 34/5061- RPR 141h, OR 138h His effort in the Ascot Stakes, where he was unlucky in running, suggested he was up to winning a decent Flat handicap, so we went for the Cesarewitch, a race his owner Terry Warner won with Detroit City. But things didn’t work out; he was drawn wide, got outpaced early and was forced to come wide round the bend. Things could have worked out better over hurdles last season too. Fearing he might be balloted out of the Pertemps Final at the festival we opted for the Coral Cup, in which he ran well, but it was probably the wrong call as in the end he would have got a run in the Pertemps and the 3m trip would have suited him more than the 2m5f of the Coral. That looked evident when he returned to Cheltenham in April and won over 3m. He’ll go back there again for the long-distance intermediate handicap hurdle at the Paddy Power meeting, then we can form a plan for the rest of the season. There’s a chance he might go novice chasing.

Bincombe 5g Indian Danehill - Siroyalta Martin Short 63338-P RPR 99h, OR 100h, 100c I know his form figures don’t inspire, but he’s okay and may improve over fences. He was due to run recently in a conditional jockeys’ handicap chase at Worcester but the ground came up on the quick side, which is the last thing he wants. I knew Stratford would be a bit tight, but he ran there on Saturday and was very disappointing; he wobbled after the race so we’ll do some tests this week and try to get to the bottom of it.

Carrigmorna King 7g King’s Theatre - Carrigmorna Flyer Robert and Janet Gibbs 1P32F-6 RPR 133c, OR 129c Had issues with his jumping last season that stopped him from progressing over fences. He resumed in a 2m4f handicap hurdle this month and ran quite well; Tom [O’Brien] came back and said he thought the horse wanted 3m. He still needs to settle better if he’s going to get the longer trip. His next target is a Pertemps qualifier at Kempton on November 4. Doesn’t want the ground too soft.

Champagne West 5g Westerner - Wyndham Sweetmarie Roger Brookhouse 12- RPR 113b He’s working nicely. It was desperate ground when he was just beaten in a Ffos Las bumper in March. He’s a real staying type, so 2m4f-plus is going to suit him when he goes novice hurdling, starting fairly shortly.

Chance Du Roy 9g Morespeed - La Chance Au Roy Daphne Du Pre 0F0498- RPR 153c, OR 135c He’s always been very consistent, so goodness knows what happened to him last season, when in six attempts he was never closer than 25 lengths off the winner. He did have a discharge from his nose that was not bad enough to prevent him running but may have been a factor in his loss of form. At least as a result he has dropped from 150 to 135, and if we get him back to his best he’d look well handicapped. Won’t be ready until late November or early December, so we could go straight to Aintree for the Grand Sefton Chase. He was going well when falling in the race 12 months ago, off a 15lb higher mark.

Cheltenian 7g Astarabad - Salamaite Roger Brookhouse 211/20- RPR 126h, OR - Not back with me yet as he’s still doing his pre-training at Roger Brookhouse’s, but will be soon I hope. He ran a blinder first time up over hurdles following a long layoff, but was then too keen and made mistakes when down the field behind Champagne Fever in the Supreme Novices’. It was basically too much of a rush to get him to the festival. We put him away after that so as to keep him a maiden for this season. A lot of the ability that saw him win a Champion Bumper is still there, so hopefully he ought to be winning some decent novice hurdles.

Cloud Creeper 6g Cloudings - First Of April Mick Fitzgerald Racing Club 12432-8 RPR 121h, OR 120h Came here in August from Donald McCain’s. Judged on his no-more-than-fair efforts over hurdles a mark of 120 looks on the high side, although the handicapper is right more often than I am. The plan is to start in a 2m hurdle, but I suspect he’ll be chasing before too long.

Colour Squadron 7g Old Vic - That’s The Goose JP McManus F2/2425- RPR 142c, OR 139c Going nicely at home and is capable of winning a decent race over fences. Hanging has always been an issue with him; last season it resurfaced on the day that mattered most, at the Cheltenham Festival. He was going well at the top of the hill in the novice handicap chase when he hung badly left three from home, and as AP [McCoy] was on the outside he couldn’t steer him from that point.

Captain Chris 9g King’s Theatre - Function Dream Diana Whateley 4/12264- RPR 170c, OR 169c Considering the heavy ground was much softer than he likes, he ran a blinder in last year’s King George, just caught by Long Run after being in front at the last. He’d also been placed in it the year before, so we’ll aim to go back on Boxing Day and try to make it third time lucky. As he always jumps to the right he really needs to go that way round and there are only so many races he can aim for, and the first part of his campaign will have a familiar look as he’ll start back on November 23 in the Amlin Chase at Ascot, which he won 12 months ago. There’s an outside chance we could be tempted by the Haldon Gold Cup if the ground came up soft, although the Exeter race is only 18 days before the Amlin and the 2m1½f trip is too short. He’s in really good form. Although rising ten, he didn’t start racing until he was six, so hopefully he’ll go on for longer. His jumping idiosyncrasy is a nuisance and something we have to live with, but despite that he’s been a real star for us.
    Last edited by Old Vic; 16 December 2014, 10:41 AM.

Danandy 6g Cloudings - Tower Princess Michelle Ryan PP-218P RPR 120h, 83c, OR 114h, 106c Uttoxeter winner over hurdles in July but we are trying to take advantage of a lower rating over fences. The saddle slipped when I was expecting him to run well at Ludlow last week.

De La Bech 6g Karinga Bay - Vallis Vale Robin and Brian Peppiatt 511021- RPR 128c, OR 127c There’s a lot more to come from this horse and I hope he’s better than he has shown in two runs over fences. If I’m right there’s no point blowing your handicap mark winning a small race, so we are going to be ambitious and aim for the Badger Ales Chase at Wincanton. He returned from a layoff to be a star last winter and should have a good season in staying handicap chases.

Doctor Foxtrot 8g Milan - French Life Dr Veronica and James Ferguson 13204/1- RPR 120h, OR 122h Returned from a tendon problem to win at Doncaster in February but was unhealthy afterwards, like a lot of mine at the time. Should be up to winning another 3m handicap hurdle, although I have been struggling to find a decent opportunity. May go for the 2m4f conditional jockeys’ handicap at Sandown on November 9.

Dreams And Songs 5m Presenting - Karello Bay Dominic Burke 40-2 RPR 106h - A well-bred mare and an improving one, judged on her hurdling debut this month when she can be counted unlucky. She nearly got knocked over three out but recovered and ran on strongly. The race was no great shakes but it certainly suggested she ought to win something similar.

Duke Of Lucca 8g Milan - Derravaragh Native Lesley Field 20367-6 RPR 146c, OR 136c With his preference for good ground, last winter was a disaster, and when he raced on a better surface in the spring he proved hard to win with. Considering he hasn’t won over fences for 18 months, it’s taking the handicapper a long time to drop him. He ran well for a long way on his return over 3m at Chepstow before getting tired. The owner feels he should go back to 2m4f but I’m not so sure; for me the evidence points to him wanting 3m. He’s not easy to place as there aren’t that many opportunities for a horse with his rating in the early part of the season, and when the opportunities do come the ground is too soft. The best time for him is in the spring, and as he ran well in the big 3m handicap chase at Kempton in February, that race might be a suitable target again.

Dunraven Storm 8g Presenting - Foxfire David and Karola Vann 124P64/ RPR 143h, OR 132h Missed last season with a hind .leg suspensory problem, which is unusual. Had Graded form as a novice hurdler and if he stays sound can start making up for lost time. He’s in good form at home and could go for a Listed handicap hurdle at Ascot on Saturday. Doesn’t want the ground too soft.

Filbert 7g Oscar - Coca’s Well R Triple H 7P/4914- RPR 129c, OR 127c Surprised us when making a winning chasing debut over 2m as we thought he wanted further. We then upped him in trip to 2m5f and he didn’t appear to get home, so perhaps 2m is his ideal distance after all. I can’t make up my mind.

Fingal Bay 7g King’s Theatre - Lady Marguerrite Roger and Carol Skan 112/120- RPR 151c, OR 146c He’s due to be scanned in the next couple of weeks to see if his tendon injury has cleared up. If there are any doubts then he’s better off missing the season, as if he had a recurrence his career could be over. If he gets the all-clear he’ll be back here sooner rather than later and we can crack on with him

Garde La Victoire 4g Kapgarde - Next Victory Diana Whateley 1-1 RPR 95b He’d been working well at home and I couldn’t have been more pleased with his winning debut over hurdles at Aintree on Saturday, especially as we hadn’t planned to be in front so long. Last season was frustrating: after a winning bumper debut his intended target at Cheltenham on New Year’s Day was abandoned, then he became unhealthy. We’ll now look for something small under a penalty, then hopefully raise him in grade.

Gas Line Boy 7g Blueprint - Jervia Mick Fitzgerald Racing Club 12437-3 RPR 130c, OR 127c Ran well on his chasing debut at Chepstow, although considering he’d schooled well at home his jumping was at times moderate. He just wasn’t paying his fences enough respect. The handicapper obviously thought it was a decent effort as he was raised 2lb. Let’s hope he can build on that.

Gauvain 11g Sternkoenig - Gamina The Spoofers 46/U-942 RPR 137h, 166c, OR 137h, 159c Suffered from back problems after his first run for us last October. Considering he’s rated 29lb lower over hurdles, we’ve been trying to take advantage and he has run really well on his last two outings, especially at Chepstow, where he stayed on strongly after nearly being brought down. He’s been flying at home this autumn, working very enthusiastically, so despite his age there’s plenty of ability there still. His chase mark means he’s hard to place over fences.

Georgie Lad 5g Gold Well - Top Step Robin Peppiatt, Rodney Offer and Brian Peppiatt 5/9326-1 (pointing form) RPR 89p Nice individual, who won an Irish maiden point-to-point in May. I’ve been happy with everything he has done at home so am expecting a good run when he makes his debut under rules in a 2m6f maiden hurdle at Stratford on Thursday.

Hello George 4g Westerner - Top Ar Aghaidh Martin St Quinton 32 RPR 107b A good-looker and I have high hopes for him. You had to be pleased with the way he stayed on in what looked a hottish bumper at Aintree in May and he came back this autumn in another well-contested event in which there were a lot of fancied horses. He was a bit keen in the first couple of furlongs, but then settled well. Has definitely improved since last season and is well up to winning a bumper before going over hurdles.

If In Doubt 5g Heron Island - Catchers Day JP McManus 22163- RPR 123h, OR 124h Showed consistent form in his first season over hurdles; the form of his Towcester win was boosted by subsequent wins from the second and third. Has done well physically since last season and that should stand him in good stead when he goes novice chasing at some stage; exactly when that’ll be hasn’t been discussed yet. Is around three weeks off a run and I like to think there’s plenty of improvement in him. Has done all his racing when there’s been cut in the ground.

Imperial Circus 7g Beneficial - Aunty Dawn Rodney Offer, Robin Peppiatt, Brian Peppiatt and Michael Sargent 23465-1 RPR 128c, OR 126c I was pleased he stepped up on last season’s efforts when winning a handicap chase at Ludlow this month, but not so pleased the handicapper raised him 8lb for a half-length success. This has mucked up my plans because I wanted to run him next in a 0-125 handicap at Sandown, but he’s now 1lb too high. I’ve asked whether they might drop him a pound and been told it depends on how the placed horses run next time. He wants it good.

Irish Buccaneer 6g Milan - Supreme Serenade JP McManus 1/3212- RPR 124h, OR 122h Will be novice chasing before long but we think he can win a handicap hurdle first. A trip of 2m4f-plus should suit and he should be ready in a month. Seems versatile ground-wise as he has won on good to soft and heavy.

Comment

Jayandbee 6g Presenting - Christines Gale Robert and Janet Gibbs 5P-1F22 RPR 105c, OR 99c Was up in trip when getting off the mark over jumps at the tenth attempt at the end of August. He’s in much better shape physically than he was in the spring, when he was disappointing, and although his overall form is pretty moderate he might have improved a bit. His latest run, where he jumped better, told me he’s going in the right direction. He possibly wants good ground, although I’m not definite about that.

Balthazar King 9g King’s Theatre - Afdala The Brushmakers 120P-11 RPR 152c, OR 150c He’s fine after winning the same 3m handicap chase at Cheltenham nine days ago for the third year running. He’s a staggering horse – everything about him is wonderful. He’s so brave and genuine and such a great jumper.the owners are keen to have another crack at the National. Going fast from the front didn’t work at Aintree last April, so we’d have to ride him differently and I don’t think he was at his best anyway.

Kartanian 7g Kalanisi - Katiykha Louisville Syndicate III 0733-F0 RPR 109h, OR 113h Has not so far lived up to his bumper form over hurdles; some of ours weren’t too healthy in the early part of the year and he was one of them. He’s since had a breathing operation and I hope off 113 he’s well handicapped, so we plan to get things right this season – when the hurdles don’t get in the way like they did at Fontwell last week.

Lady Charisma 4f Presenting - Lady Cad Owner For Owners: Lady Charisma 63- RPR 92b Well bred, being out of a useful dam and related to one-time smart hurdler Geos. Showed promise in both her bumpers and I think she’s improved since then. I wanted to run her at Worcester last Wednesday but the ground went too soft. We’ll find an opening for her shortly.

Lamb Or Cod 6g Old Vic - Princess Lizzie Terry Warner 21/18P-2 RPR 132h, OR 130h Won the Silver Trophy on his first run for us last season and we went back to Chepstow on Saturday trying for a repeat off a 6lb higher mark, when he stayed on well after getting outpaced. We’ll now look at one of the two valuable staying handicap hurdles at Haydock’s Betfair Chase meeting. It won’t be long before he’s chasing as that’s what he was bought for.

Lord Protector 6g Oscar - Warts And All Louisville Syndicate 22620- RPR 115h, OR 110h He’s potentially a really decent horse, although I can’t explain why he has twice run poorly at Exeter. He’s more than capable of winning a handicap off his rating and the target is a 0-120 at Ascot on Saturday. A big, strong individual, it won’t be long before he goes over fences.

Moorlands Mist 6g Fair Mix - Sandford Springs Terry Warner 7/57213- RPR 121h, OR 121h Arrived in the summer. He won over hurdles for Jeremy Scott, who trains close to us, and we may start off in a handicap hurdle but chasing will be his game soon. Should be ready in around three weeks.

Neville 5g Revoque - Dudeen Mark and Liz Pendarves 48-13 RPR 104h Although it wasn’t a great race, there was a lot to like about his winning start for us in a Uttoxeter bumper in June. Considering I thought I’d found the perfect opportunity for him over hurdles at Worcester last week it was a bit disappointing he could finish only third.

No Likey 6g Helissio - Money Galore The Country Side 7S3842- RPR 107h, OR 105h Good fun horse, still a maiden after six attempts over hurdles but with okay placed form in novice and handicap company. He’s been a shade unlucky not to have got off the mark before now, but as he had a breathing operation over the summer, I hope that will help get him into the winner’s enclosure before too long at one of the smaller tracks.

Nutin Fancy 7g Oscar - Ennel Lady Tony and Julie Phillips 132/269- RPR 118h, OR 115h After being beaten a head on his return from a long layoff he ran poorly on his last two outings in the spring. I reckon he’s a good bit better than that. Stays well and all his form has been on soft or heavy ground.

Menorah 8g King’s Theatre - Maid For Adventure Diana Whateley 313P22- RPR 172c, OR 169c The plan had been to start off in the Charlie Hall Chase, where the ground is often good, but three weeks ago he had an issue with a knee that left him marginally lame. He had a cortisone injection and some time off, but it means we’re now looking at the Peterborough Chase as his possible first run. As he’s unbeaten in three runs round Kempton, the King George might also come on to his agenda, although there’s not long in between the two races. He added the rescheduled Peterborough last season to his list of Graded wins; it was run on heavy ground but he doesn’t want it that soft. Three miles on good ground look an ideal combination nowadays and that’s what he got in the Betfred Bowl when second to First Lieutenant. He’s been a fantastic horse for us, and even if his rating of 169 suggests he’s a few pounds shy of top-class, he’s very consistent and usually picks up plenty of place money. You could argue that at times his jumping is not the most fluent, but it’s a long time since he has fallen.

Comment

Onenightinvienna 4g Oscar - Be My Granny Philip Hobbs 4-1 (pointing form) RPR 86p - Won the second of his two Irish point-to-points and is a promising sort for bumpers and/or novice hurdles. He has just needed a bit of time but is now showing up well in his work. Oh, and by the way he’s for sale if anyone wants him. Could be ready to run in a month.

Orabora 7g Alflora - Magic Orb Dr Veronica and James Ferguson 4/1F3- RPR 125h, OR 123h Big, strong gelding who had decent form in novice hurdles; his season was curtailed by health issues in the spring. He was unlucky at Exeter, travelling nicely when falling three out, but apart from that he’s a good jumper of hurdles in the main and I think fences should suit him. That’s where he’ll go now as he’s seven rising eight. He has enough pace to start over 2m and is around a month off a run.

Oscar Davy 7g Oscar - Galtee Castle Andy Ash 43342-F RPR 125c, OR 118c Was in the process of running his best race over fences when falling at the last at Cheltenham’s opening meeting. Last season we were getting confused messages as to what his best trip is; I’ve always thought 3m on good ground might end up the best combination, and the Cheltenham run confirmed that. Seems fine after the fall so I hope it won’t be long before we can put the record straight.

Persian Snow 7g Anshan - Alpine Message Robin Peppiatt and Brian Peppiatt 127/38P- RPR 132h, OR 129h Ongoing health issues have prevented him showing his true ability, but if we can keep them under control he has the scope to do well over fences. He ran with promise in an Irish point-to-point before coming here. In grand order now and is hopefully one to look out for in a 2m4f novice handicap chase somewhere.

Pistol 4g High Chaparral - Alinea Clark, Devlin, Knox & Wells & Monroe 211P-4 RPR 123h, OR 130h Ran a decent race in the end on his return over 2m at Chepstow considering he got miles behind, having looked well beaten he stayed on again. My first reaction was it’s just his temperament and we need to reach for some headgear, but Richard [Johnson] disagreed and said it’s simply that he needs a longer trip. We’re going to run him at Newmarket on Friday to see if it’s worth aiming him at some of the more valuable staying handicaps on the Flat next year. As he’s rated only 75, we’ll need to push his rating up a few pounds to give him more chance of getting a run in some of those good staying events. In addition, he has schooled particularly well over fences this autumn, so that does gives us some more options.

Planet Of Sound 11g Kayf Tara - Herald The Dawn Charles Lloyd-Baker 30/530P- RPR 165c, OR 144c Not getting any younger and it’s more than three years since he last won. Very disappointing last season apart from one run when third at Cheltenham in December on going he would have hated; he’s usually at his best on decent ground in the spring. He had foot problems at home in the summer so was late back in and is nowhere near ready to resume.

Powerful Action 5g Tau Ceti - Abbey The Leader Daphne Du Pre 35 RPR 103b Likeable sort. By an unknown sire, who was a Group 3 winner on the Flat, he was with Joseph Quinn in Ireland who has just a small string. The sale was organised after he’d finished third at Limerick. I thought he’d run better than he did in a Chepstow bumper this month, although it might have been a decent contest as I kept bumping into people who fancied their runner, so perhaps he wasn’t disgraced in fifth. I didn’t declare him at Worcester last week because of the softening ground, but he’ll be out in a maiden hurdle shortly and should be okay.

Princely Player 6g King’s Theatre - Temptation Thurloe 52 2595-13 RPR 138h, OR 138h Disappointed for much of last season; it was so wet for most of the time he never found his favoured decent ground. I was convinced he was well enough handicapped to win again over hurdles and he duly did at Fontwell despite pre-race antics when he was very reluctant to line up. As it was his first run he got very wound-up and I sincerely hope that was a one-off. He was fine at Cheltenham next time where he had no chance three out but was gaining hand over fist at the line. He could spend the rest of the season trying to win another handicap hurdle so we might be better off going over fences now.

Quinz 9g Robin Des Champs - Altesse Du Mou Andrew Cohen 31PPP/4- RPR 158c, OR 142c Has been the victim of health issues but I’m hopeful we have him back on track and he’s due to run at Ascot on Saturday. We were aiming him at the National last spring but like a lot of ours he wasn’t right. He showed when fourth in the Racing Post Chase – sorry, I know the name changed but that’s how I still refer to it – that the ability is still there. Could be interesting if we get a smoother run with him this time.

Return Spring 6g Vinnie Roe - Bettys Daughter David Jones 8124P2- RPR 126h, OR 125h Won his novice hurdle over 2m5f but he’s not that quick and I reckon he’s crying out for a longer trip. A tiny setback prevented us from taking him to the first Cheltenham meeting, so we’ll take a look at the staying handicap at the Paddy Power fixture, although off his rating he wouldn’t be guaranteed to get in.

Roalco De Farges 8g Dom Alco - Vonaria The Brushmakers 362512/ RPR 143c, OR 136c Was just about ready to run last season when he pulled muscles in his back. He returned to the owners in Hampshire and has only been in training a month or so. He was being aimed at the Welsh National last season and that was to be the plan again, but we might run out of time. It would be a pity as he’s been out of the frame only once in five outings at Chepstow and loves the soft ground you usually get there over Christmas. He’s a stuffy sort who would need an outing beforehand but it’s looking a real struggle and we’re starting to think he might have to have a post-Christmas campaign.

Rob Conti 8g Network - Initiale Royale Philip Hobbs 822222 RPR 136c, OR 131c A fast-ground summer horse who, despite his run of second places, is totally genuine. He’s been contesting those big summer handicaps and is just unlucky not to have won a big one. But at least he’s picked up nearly £30,000 in place money. He’ll return once the ground quickens up in the spring, when we have the option of trying to win a novice hurdle with him.

Royal Regatta 5g King’s Theatre - Friendly Craic Lesley Field and John Murphy P/1-1 RPR 116b Delighted me with his Aintree win on Sunday. He jumped the reduced number of hurdles well, which was no surprise as he’s been a natural from day one. Has done nothing but please me in everything we’ve asked him to do at home and he looks one of our best prospects, although it’s not in my nature to over-hype my horses as past experience has taught me it can put the kiss of death on them. We’ll now look for something low-key to give him more experience, then step him up in class.

Comment

Sausalito Sunrise 5g Gold Well - Villaflor Diana Whateley 1/223- RPR 121h, OR 117h Strikes me as being an improver and if that is the case he looks well handicapped on 117. He was unlucky not to win on his first run for us, when in front too far out, and is better than he showed at Ascot next time. I hope he’ll be one of our smarter novices, but off his rating the handicap route is the sensible one to take.

I’m sure we haven’t seen the best of Talkonthestreet 6g Milan - Super Size Diana Whateley 13/4244- RPR 129c, OR 123c What do I do with him? He’d struggle to win over hurdles off his mark and so far his chasing form hasn’t matched up to his form over hurdles. He does stay very well, so if I could only get some more confidence into him he should get his head in front.

The Disengager 9g Snurge - The Doctors Wife Peter Govier, Paul Govier and Geoff Brown P-51014 RPR 155c, OR 152c Has been an absolute star. I thought he was starting to look like a summer horse with a winter horse’s rating, but he proved me totally wrong when winning the valuable summer handicap chase at Newton Abbot. And then he went down fighting when attempting to repeat last year’s win in the Listed handicap chase at Market Rasen in September off an 18lb higher mark. He came back from there with a bruised hind foot and he was in quite a bit of pain the next day, but he’s so tough and genuine it didn’t stop him battling on in his usual fashion at Market Rasen. Earlier in the summer we took him to Ireland for the Galway Plate in July, expecting the ground to be good to firm, but it ended up soft and the trip was a complete waste of time. He must have top of the ground, for which reason he’s due a break soon. Next year I’d like to take him to Sweden in June for their Grand National, a 2m4f chase usually run on good ground; at the weights I’ve calculated he’d be thrown in. To think 18 months ago his rating was 107 and it’s now 45lb higher shows what staggering improvement he’s made.

The Skyfarmer 5g Presenting - Koral Bay Joanna Peppiatt F/1231-1 RPR 110h I hope he’s going to turn out very decent. Despite running a bit green he was always in control when successful at Newton Abbot this month. Richard Johnson feels the horse wants 2m4f but I think he has the pace to drop back to two. We might run out of time to give him a prep beforehand, but I’d like to take him to the Paddy Power meeting.

Thomas Wild 8g Muhtarram - Bisqu Toby Wheeler - CLT 1/F421-3 RPR 121c, OR 113c Not back here yet but is one I must include as he’s a good, reliable staying chaser in his own grade. Tries hard and jumps well so I couldn’t ask for more, and should step up on last spring’s Newton Abbot success.

Thunderstorm 8g Milan - Elizabeth Tudor JP McManus 111114- RPR 133h, OR 131h Considering he’d had time off with a suspensory problem, his legs held up well last season and he won five in a row. That saw his mark rise from 93 to 131, making him massively harder to place over hurdles. Being a big, strong sort, he should do well over fences at around 2m4f, hopefully starting in November.

Tiqris 5g Midnight Legend - Calamintha Roger Brookhouse 2/32- RPR 110h Yet to return but I’m looking forward to getting him back as I do rate him. Lightly raced, he showed promise on both starts last season, when he was a bit keen, before becoming unhealthy. Is capable of stepping up significantly on those efforts.

Tony Star 6g Lone Bid - Effet De Star Thurloe 51 230-338 RPR 142c, OR 134c Jumped badly when disappointing at Cheltenham the other day. He’s not the best of travellers and on the way up there he rubbed his hip badly in the lorry. I called in the racecourse vet and although a nasty graze was visible we agreed the horse should take part as he was totally sound. But he just didn’t jump, so perhaps the graze affected him. Up to now he has tended to pull hard in small fields, which can prevent him running up to his best, and he’s been better off in a big field where he can get cover behind runners. But he’s settling better at last. What is the plan with him? To win a race over fences wouldn’t be a bad idea, as he is zero from eight. But he is talented.

Toowoomba 5g Milan - Lillies Bordello Michael Watt and Jim McGrath 5/17-2 RPR 86b Ran just okay when seventh in a bumper on his first outing for us, but showed a lot more promise on his hurdling debut over 2m at Wincanton on Sunday. He’s still a bit weak and is going to be a stayer in time as all he does is keep galloping, but for the time being I’m keen to stick to 2m – he has enough pace for it.

Trickaway 5g Stowaway - Rosie’s Trix The Mount Fawcus Partnership 321-9 RPR 94b This one will turn out okay. He won a 3m point-to-point in Ireland and was bought at Cheltenham’s April sale. He was very keen in a bumper at Cheltenham the other day, losing his place but then staying on again. In time he’ll want further than 2m, but he’ll run over that trip again in a novice hurdle next time. Fences will see him in a better light in a year’s time.

Uncle Jimmy 6g Alderbrook - Carrabawn Andy Ash 281-223 RPR 128h, OR 128h What he lacks in size he makes up for in attitude as he’s really game and genuine. Ran a blinder at Newton Abbot on his return from a break – I thought for a second he might win halfway up the run-in – and put up another typically solid effort at Aintree on Sunday. I suppose he’ll now go up a few pounds in the ratings for getting beaten, which is a nuisance. Has enough pace for 2m4f and will possibly get 3m. Definitely capable of winning a handicap hurdle and should jump fences.

Village Vic 6g Old Vic - Etoile Margot Alan Peterson 56604-1 RPR 136h, OR 128h Finally shed his maiden tag at Worcester in September, although I admit he didn’t look impressive. That said, when I looked at the result more closely, the form of the race is probably okay. Since he finished second to The New One 12 months ago some of his other performances have not been that good, which is something of a puzzle to me, but I know the ability is there – just look at his sixth place in the Betfair Hurdle at Newbury. There are no plans; he might switch to fences at some stage.

Weigh It Up 5g Flemensfirth - Uppermost James and Jean Potter 47- RPR 102b Big, backward sort who showed promise on his bumper debut at Ffos Las in February but was probably in need of a break when disappointing three weeks later. In time he could turn out okay.

Western Jo 5g Westerner - Jenny’s Jewel Trevor Hemmings 311- RPR 117h, OR 123h We like this one and he came back from his summer break looking a lot stronger. He remains a novice over hurdles until the end of October, but I decided we might be better waiting until after then and going for a decent handicap hurdle as I believe he’s on an attractive mark. Should have a good season.

Who’s Jeff 5g Westerner - Kitty Maher Ray and Beryl Whitehorn 037P-2F RPR 109h, OR 107h In the past he’s been very keen and awkward at home, although this autumn he’s become more manageable and less of a tearaway, so I’m hoping he’ll transfer that improvement to the racecourse. I have had others like him who eventually turned the corner and Tom O’Brien thinks we should persevere with him.

Woodford County 6g Sonus - Moylena E & A England and A & E Heywood 72115- RPR 121h, OR 121h Began well for us and I fancied him when he was very disappointing on his only other run at a time when a lot of ours were just starting to run badly. I had him entered at Worcester last week but only then found out you have to have had three runs over hurdles before you are qualified to run in one of these new novice handicap chases. So he’ll run in a 3m handicap hurdle at Chepstow and then go down the novice handicap chase route.

Wishfull Thinking 10g Alflora - Poussetiere Deux Diana Whateley 14113-6 RPR 168c, OR 160c Has been a superstar for us, despite not quite being up to Grade 1 class, and his recent work has been of the highest order. He’s always had breathing issues, but strangely his wind was worst in the season after he had a breathing operation; last year we left it alone and he got better. His win in the Game Spirit Chase means he’ll have to carry a Grade 2 penalty, which will make him even harder to place. We started off in handicap company in the Old Roan Chase on Saturday, when everything went wrong. He settled too well out the back, jumping big and awkwardly, then he got a clout four out. He’ll now get entries in the 2m conditions chase at Cheltenham’s Paddy Power meeting and in the Paddy Power Gold Cup. It’s amazing that after all these years I still don’t know what his best trip is; I would like to try him over 3m sometime

Comment

Good man Sefton

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X