Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2013 Galway hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Galway hurdle

Security Breach jumps into Galway Hurdle contention
    Monday, June 24, 2013
    Ruby Walsh doubled-up on a couple of possible Galway Hurdle contenders, Security Breach and Giant’s Quest, on an eventful day in Gowran Park, where fast ground caused plenty of withdrawals.

A huge disappointment when favourite for the valuable Ladbrokes Handicap Hurdle at Killarney’s May meeting, the Willie Mullins-trained four-year-old Security Breach captured the Jack Duggan Memorial Handicap in emphatic style, keeping favourite USA at bay by two and a quarter lengths with the flattering Raggetagglegypsy a close third.

“He jumped a bit better today and bounces off that ground,” said Mullins, who trains the Red Clubs gelding for Michael O’Leary’s Gigginstown House Stud. “He’s a real summer horse and I’ve had Galway in mind for him for a while. He’ll probably go to Killarney on the way there.”

Another likely Guinness Galway Hurdle contender is the Harry Rogers-trained Giant’s Quest, which opened his account over timber when justifying 8/13 favouritism in the Follow Gowran Park On Facebook Maiden Hurdle.

The 119-rated seven-year-old forged clear on the run-in to beat Fairview Star by five and a half lengths. Rogers declared: “He was entitled to win a maiden, on his rating. We have plenty of options for him. He’ll probably go to Bellewstown next and he might end up in the Galway Hurdle.”
    Last edited by Lester; 1 July 2013, 01:59 PM.

another one...

County Meath-based, Elliott advised the Galway Hurdle would be the target for Shadow Catcher

Comment

When are entries out ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoof View Post
        When are entries out ?
        Probably Wednesday ?

Apart from Plate and Hurdle it is not great fare. You need to wait for Listowel and even later for better Irish horses.

Comment

Out now

Co. Meath trainer Gordon Elliott plans to have a strong hand in the feature race, with Cause Of Causes, Flaxen Flare and Shadow Catcher listed to run on the day.

With Cause of Causes finishing second in the race last year, he ls expected be one of the front runners in the two-mile handicap and Elliott said this week that the J.P McManus horse won’t mind the drying ground on the course.

"To be honest, all of mine will like the good ground. Flaxen Flare ran a lovely race on the flat at Killarney last week and that should leave him spot on for Galway. Shadow Catcher also appears to be in very good form,” he said.

Willie Mullins plans to run Security Breach in the Hurdle and says he has "progressed well" this season and seemed to be appreciate the fast ground when he won recently at Gowran Park.*
          Rawnaq has also developed into a very capable handicapper this year and the six-year-old heads to Ballybrit as a major contender for the Ladies' Day feature. He is trained by rookie handler, Matthew Smith, who said the horse has gone up to a rating of 134 after a recent win at Bellewstown.

"He was placed on the flat around Galway last year, so we know that he likes the track. My brother, Kevin will ride him and he is owned by my father (also Kevin). We have really enjoyed the last few months and I suppose it is a dream for a small outfit like ours to be heading to Galway for one of the biggest races of the week with a family owned horse," he said.

Michael Winters, who won the Guinness Galway Hurdle last year with Rebel Fitz, will be represented by the mare Missunited, who has developed into a stakes contender on the flat this season. The trainer revealed that the horse ran "a bit flat" in Roscommon recently but said that this could be due to the tight track and a long journey in warm conditions.

"She’s rated 135 over hurdles and the ground up there should be fine for her. I suppose if she turns up in top form, we’d be in there with a great shout. Barry Geraghty has won on her and I am hoping that he’ll be free to ride her again” he said.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sprinter;

Michael Winters, who won the Guinness Galway Hurdle last year with Rebel Fitz, will be represented by the mare Missunited, who has developed into a stakes contender on the flat this season. The trainer revealed that the horse ran "a bit flat" in Roscommon recently but said that this could be due to the tight track and a long journey in warm conditions.

"She’s rated 135 over hurdles and the ground up there should be fine for her. I suppose if she turns up in top form, we’d be in there with a great shout. Barry Geraghty has won on her and I am hoping that he’ll be free to ride her again” he said.[/QUOTE]

Good man Michael.

Comment

Short thread but winner gets a mention ..not BJGs luckiest race.

Comment

Working...
              X