Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Colin Tizzard Stable Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colin Tizzard Stable Tour

At The Races – Digital partner to Sky Sports Racing. Get horse racing news, video replays, racecards, results, form, tips, features and odds comparison.

Here the trainer gives his thoughts on that option for the team he trains in Dorset plus his Aintree considerations and a possible crack at the Scottish National too.

BILLY NO NAME
    5 b g Westerner - Just Little.
    Maiden hurdler from two and a half to three miles. Rated 115 last four starts and length second to Southfield Theatre on most recent in three mile novice at Exeter March 5.
    "Biggest problem is that he's small so he finds heavy ground a bit too much and the better ground last time helped him. We'll probably wait and have a spring campaign when he'll be well capable."

BUCKTHORN TOM
    5 b g Tamure - Walmea Bay.
    Won fourth start over hurdles on handicap debut when dropped to two miles at Exeter March 19 and beat Umberto D'Olivate a length and a quarter.
    "Did alright in his bumpers and although it was a poor race he won last time he was very green and wandered about the whole race. But he does stay well and I'm sure there's more to come from him although I'm waiting to see what the handicapper does. I think he'll go back to two and a half miles. Handles soft ground."

CANNINGTON BROOK
    9 b g Winged Love - Rosie Brook.
    Staying handicap chaser, last winning mark was 142 when beating Merry King a Nose over three at Haydock in December. Up to 148 both subsequent starts and beaten 26 lengths when sixth of 14 to Well Refreshed over three and a quarter at Haydock February 16. Stays on same rating.
    "He did seven miles in a fortnight with two races last month which might have been a bit much. Just short of Aintree or Cheltenham class in handicaps - he's pretty high. Might still go to Aintree but I'm looking seriously at the Scottish National. His best form is on heavy ground but I'm sure he'll appreciate some better going."

CUE CARD
    7 b g King's Theatre - Wicked Crack.
    Top class chaser won fifth of nine chase starts and career-best effort latest start when beating First Lieutenant nine lengths in two mile five Ryanair Chase at Cheltenham March 14. Now up 5lb to highest ever 170.
    "His only bad run this year was on desperate ground at Kempton on Boxing Day in the King George. But I still don't think he was quite right, either that or I'd under cooked him but at that time we weren't having winners like we are now. We also rode him differently over three miles and he pulled and tugged and nearly fell at the first - race didn't work out. If it were good ground next season we'd have another look at the race. In the Ryanair he was very relaxed and he has plenty of pace. Joe said that he had to slow it down a couple of times through the race and give him a breather. We'll have a crack at Sprinter Sacre over two and a half miles one day but I'm not certain it will be at Aintree this year. If there's £200,000 on offer at Punchestown and Sprinter Sacre isn't there, well, you've got to be realistic. He's come out of Cheltenham well, back cantering but is fit and well."

DARK DESIRE
    4 br g Generous - Diletia.
    Won seven-runner bumper at Taunton beating Shadow Cruise a length and a quarter February 19.
    "Just about got home on bad ground at Taunton. A horse with a beautiful long stride that wouldn't have been suited by it. A good ground horse, busy at the moment at home and might go to Aintree if the ground is better."

FALCON ISLAND
    8 b g Turtle Island - Dolly Sparks.
    Last of three chase wins came off 127 over two miles at Wincanton December 2011. Has been to 138 and off 135 latest start when fifth of nine to Eastlake over two at Sandown early February. Now 132.
    "High enough and was one that we were going to take to Aintre but there's a £25,000 race at Taunton on the Thursday of Aintree. It's over two three and I think that trip will suit him but I also think he's better on decent ground. "

FOURTH ACT
    4 b g King's Theatre - Erintante.
    Encouraging bumper debut March 7 when four and a half lengths fifth of 17 to Call Carlo at Wincanton when 7/2 favourite.
    "Joe came back from Wincanton glowing about him, full brother to Theatre Guide but has had immaturity issues. He wasn't fully wound up but has come out of that race really well and it will take something very good to stop him next time."

GOLDEN CHIEFTAIN
    8 b g Tikkanen - Golden Flower.
    Smart handicap chaser from two and a half to three miles and won most significant race over that trip latest start at Cheltenham March 13 beating Our Mick ten lengths off 132. Once 142 and up to 148.
    "Had never shown the level of form he did at Cheltenham. He had finished third to Unioniste at Cheltenham in December but never jumped a fence fluently. He's been away to get the jumping right and he's got his act together now. I thought 16lbs was a severe rise and I'm sure he's still handicap class at the moment. A race at Haydock on March 30 might be a bit quick and it's more likely he'll go for a three mile handicap at Aintree which gives him a bit longer to recover. Decent ground probably helps him."

HANDY ANDY
    7 b g Beneficial - Maslam.
    Won first chase at third attempt on latest start beating Chartreux two and a quarter lengths off 115 in three mile Newbury handicap December 19. Now 123 and was once 127 over hurdles.
    "Been off with little issues, pulled muscles, but he's going to be a very decent long distance chaser. I'll find another race for him this season. His best form has been at Newbury and if he could win another one this season then his target for next season would be the Hennessy."

HEY BIG SPENDER
    10 b g Rudimentary - Jim's Monkey.
    Useful staying chaser rated career-high 157 December 2012 after beating Fredo three quarters of a length off 156 in three mile five handicap at Warwick. Beaten six times since and pulled up latest behind Golden Chieftain at Cheltenham March 12 off 145. Now 142.
    "Not at his best and I don't know if that's age or his handicap mark. Couldn't lie up at Cheltenham but there's a veterans chase at Ascot on March 31. These sort of races are right for him."

JUMPS ROAD
    6 b g Clerkenwell - Diletia.
    Improving two mile handicap hurdler winning last two outings at Wincanton off 115 and 122. Latest by a neck from Chesil Beach Boy March 7 and now 127.
    "There wasn't much to spare last time but I think the form is alright and he'll probably go to Aintree for a two mile handicap hurdle - that's a better trip than two and a half. Travels well and will be much better suited by carrying a lower weight in a better race."

KINGS LAD
    6 b g King's Theatre - Festival Leader.
    Winning two mile hurdler but best efforts in defeat, notably third last start when four and a half lengths second to Mr Watson off 127 in novice handicap at Cheltenham in January. Pulled up then well beaten next start in County Hurdle at Cheltenham March 15 off 132. Now 131.
    "Can't handle bad ground but it's possible he might be handicapped to the limit. I might look at a normal novice hurdle with him then turn him away for next season."

OHIO GOLD
    7 b g Flemensfirth - Kiniohio.
    Useful novice handicap chaser around two and a half miles. Yet to win over fences in four starts by excellent effort latest outing off 134 when nine lengths third of 20 to Rajdhani Express in two and a half mile listed handicap at Cheltenham March 12. Remains on that mark.
    "We thought he'd run well at Cheltenham and we're considering the next move, whether to drop him back to a smaller race and get a win or keep him at the higher grade. The tongue tie didn't do any harm at Cheltenham when he kept on galloping. I won't go any further than two and a half and he could go back to two. Aintree is still possible."

OISEAU DE NUIT
    11 b g Evening World - Idylle Du Marais.
    Top class two mile handicap chaser has won seven from 35 and another fine effort latest off 149 in two mile Grand Annual at Cheltenham March 15 finishing 13 lengths third to Alderwood. Had won same race off 145 in 2011. Had been successful off 150 at Chepstow in October 2012 and stays on 149.
    "Probably ran the race of his life last time at Cheltenham, fast and fluent - loads of pace for an 11-year-old. He'll go to Aintree and I reckon he'll have a very good chance in the two mile handicap chase. A wonderfully consistent horse."

THEATRE GUIDE
    6 b g King's Theatre - Erintante.
    Smart novice chaser around two and a half miles. Given 149 after winning debut at Exeter last November but failed to complete last three starts including two and a half mile conditions event at Cheltenham won by Carrick Boy March 14. Remains on 147.
    "Has had his wind done and would have won at Kempton in February when he fell at the last. Had done plenty of schooling before Cheltenham where he frightened himself early in the race. I'll just look for the smallest races I can for the rest of the season just to get him confidence back. In that grade trip isn't really an issue."

THEATRICAL STAR
    7 b g King's Theatre - Lucy Glitters.
    Has won one from seven in novice chases around two and as half miles, won penultimate outing off 125 at Exeter beating Colour Squadron five lengths. Pulled up behind Lord Windermere in RSA at Cheltenham March 13. Stays on 135.
    "We took a chance at Cheltenham which didn't come off but he beat Colour Squadron decisively before that. I'm going to build him up again by going small for the rest of the season. Not that concerned about trip but better ground would help."

THIRD ACT
    4 b g King's Theatre - Starry Lady.
    Unraced.
    "Lovely horse, due to run in a bumper any time and flying at home."

THIRD INTENTION
    6 b g Azamour - Third Dimension.
    Smart maiden novice chaser and possibly best of six chase starts on penultimate when neck second to Captain Conan over two five at Sandown early February. Up from 142 ro 151 latest when 15 lengths sixth of 13 to Benefficiant in two five grade two Jewson Chase at Cheltenham March 14.
    "It's possible we might move him up to three miles and take him to Aintree - got outpaced in the Jewson. It's possible he could go to Punchestown but I don't want to lose his novice status cheaply. Nice ground would help."

VIRGINIA ASH
    5 ch g Definite Article - Peace Time Girl.
    Useful novice handicap hurdler, outclassed behind at Fishers Cross when seventh beaten 41 lengths in grade one Albert Bartlett Hurdle over three at Cheltenham March 15. Had won off 110 and remains on 116.
    "We were trying to nick some prize money at Cheltenham because he is an honest stayer. I'll find a little handicap for him now on a galloping track because his mark is still workable. A decent chaser for next season."

XAARCET
    6 b g Xaar - Anoukit
    Landed hatrick from two and a half to two mile six January to February going from 95 to 109. Up to 120 latest run February 27 at Wincanton when eight lengths third of six to In The Crowd in two mile handicap. Stays on same mark.
    "Wasn't quite right behind when he came back last time. He had been busy so he had a little break but is back in work now and there's a little race for him at Exeter in early April."

Comment

ASK Colin Tizzard about the quality of his team for the serious months of the NH season and the reply is emphatic: "The best I have ever had by miles."

With a record 70 horses in his care at Milborne Port ranging from the nobility of Cue Card and Golden Chieftain to such exciting youngsters as Midnight Thunder and Ultragold it is obvious why the master of Venn Farm Racing is so enthusiastic and optimistic.

The 2012-13 campaign saw Tizzard top 40 winners for the third season in a row and prize-money at £813,000 was almost twice his previous highest and placed him in the top 10 of the trainers' championship for the first time.

The stable has been upwardly mobile every year since 2008-09 when he finished 28th in the table and Team Tizzard are determined to continue the trend.

The bulk of last season's booty came from Cue Card (£325,000) and Tizzard has mapped out a similar programme for his Ryanair hero this winter – with one significant difference because the 3m Grade One Betfair Chase at Haydock Park on November 23 is on the radar.

Last season the trainer abandoned plans for a tilt at the Cheltenham Gold Cup after a disappointing performance in the King George VI Chase.

But that was then and this is now because he still harbours thoughts that the King's Theatre gelding will get 3m.

Cue Card has time on his side. Although he seems to have been around for ages, the horse is only seven, should improve – and the Ryanair has been the stepping-stone to Gold Cup glory as Imperial Commander showed in 2010.

Cue Card will open his campaign aiming for a repeat win in the Haldon Gold Cup over an extended 2m1f at Exeter on November 5 with Haydock the next port of call to tackle the likes of proven stayers Silviniaco Conti and Long Run before another crack at December's King George.

Although Cue Card looked a non-stayer when a 20-length fifth to Long Run in the 2012 King George, Tizzard felt the horse was not at his best: "He may have been suffering from a low-grade virus and the heavy ground was against him too.

"Following Kempton we worked him harder and he was brilliant after that winning the Ascot Chase and the Ryanair before Sprinter Sacre put us firmly in our place for a second time at Aintree.

"He'll go for the King George again and the same Ascot race in February and then Cheltenham." Which race at the Festival? Tizzard smiles and says: "His owner Bob Bishop would love to have a runner in the Gold Cup."

Connections were hardly surprised when Golden Chieftain was hiked 16lb by the handicapper following his 10-length annihilation of the JLT Speciality Handicap Chase field at the Festival.

The question now is: can he win off his new mark? Tizzard could not put that to the test last season as the eight-year-old stepped on a stone 10 days after the Festival and suffered a foot infection that sidelined him for the rest of the campaign.

Tizzard said: "Golden Chieftain was so impressive at Cheltenham. We had only seen him run like that once before when he cantered away from a decent field at Worcester the previous October.

"Whether he can cope with the rise in weight we'll have to see. We'll start him in a 3m handicap chase at the first Cheltenham meeting in October and if that goes well he'll go for the Hennessy Gold Cup."

Golden Chieftain starts the season on 148, 10lb inferior to Aintree Festival winner Oiseau De Nuit. "Oiseau De Nuit is 11 but as good as ever and is on his highest mark ever. His rating puts him too high for veterans' races. We'll have to run him in the best 2m races and hope one falls into his lap."

Masters Hill has recovered from the stress fracture in the cannon bone that curtailed his season and will be aimed at an intermediate chase. "We still don't know how good he is."

Comment

Working...
      X