Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham 2014 Arkle Trophy Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheltenham 2014 Arkle Trophy Chase

THE RACING POST ARKLE CHALLENGE TROPHY STEEPLE CHASE (CLASS 1) (Grade 1)

Total prize fund £150000

£85425 to the winning horse, The second to receive £32055, the third £16050, the fourth £7995,
    the fifth £4020 and the sixth £2010

for novice five yrs old and upwards which are allotted a rating of 110 or more by the BHA Head of Handicapping following a review of the horses entered and after taking account of races run up
    to and including March 4th. Horses which are not qualified for a rating in Great Britain, Ireland or France may also be entered. Such horses may be eligible providing the Handicapper is
    satisfied that the horse's racecourse performances up to and including March 4th would merit a minimum rating of 110. The decision of the BHA Head of Handicapping shall be final.

about TWO MILES

TIMETABLE

Enter by noon, January 21st and pay £185 stake
    Scratch by noon on February 18th or pay £370
    Confirm by noon on March 5th and pay £185
    Declare by 10.00 a.m. March 10th

Weights: 11st 4lb each
    Mares allowed ...... 7lb

RECENT WINNERS

2013 SIMONSIG 7-11-7 BARRY GERAGHTY NICKY HENDERSON 8-15 7
    2012 SPRINTER SACRE (FR) 6-11-7 BARRY GERAGHTY NICKY HENDERSON 8-11 6
    2011 CAPTAIN CHRIS (IRE) 7-11-7 RICHARD JOHNSON PHILIP HOBBS 6-1 10
    2010 SIZING EUROPE (IRE) 8-11-7 A. E. LYNCH HENRY DE BROMHEAD 6-1 12
    2009 FORPADYDEPLASTERER (IRE) 7-11-7 B. J. GERAGHTY THOMAS COOPER 8-1 17

-----------------------------------

Stan James have priced up the 2014 Arkle and are best priced on all listed horses below at the time of this post. You can get a Stan James account here.

Champagne Fever (6), Pont Alexandre (8), Rock On Ruby (10), Grandouet (12), Oscar Whisky (14), Chatterbox (16), Puffin Billy (16), River Maigue (16), Un Atout (16), Rule The World (20), Sametegal (20), Pique Sous (25), Taquin Du Seuil (25), Une Artiste (25)

Tracked a good few of these this year ...

Just an opinion but I think Rock on Ruby probably will end up running in the Arkle ...http://www.fatjockey.com/forum/showt...n-Hurdler-2012 10s looks like a decent price.

Grandouet may end up chasing depending on next few races but he is a bit fragile/too seldom seen for my liking http://www.fatjockey.com/forum/showt...hurdle-hopeful

Un atout could be a proper chaser... http://www.fatjockey.com/forum/showt...Willie-Mullins

Puffin Billy looks a like a possible looking at latest quotes http://www.fatjockey.com/forum/showt...liver-Sherwwod

Oscar Whisky going chasing but Jewson might be his trip ? http://www.fatjockey.com/forum/showt...nner-2011-2012

Pont Alexander/Champagne Fever/Rule The World will end up running over further?

What else is there...

Cinders & Ashes ?
    Last edited by Lester; 7 January 2014, 04:11 PM.

Rebel Fitz was a 2 miler over hurdles but seems to be lined up for further. Maybe a Jewson horse ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoof View Post
      Rebel Fitz was a 2 miler over hurdles but seems to be lined up for further. Maybe a Jewson horse ?

Winters won the Galway Hurdle 12 months ago with Rebel Fitz, who has this summer made an accomplished start over fences.
      The eight-year-old easily won a novice chase earlier on the Galway Hurdle card on Thursday and could return to the Ballybrit circuit next month.
      Winters said: "He's strolling along over fences and is a very good horse.
      "He's very well in himself, and we'll look at a novice chase at Galway in September for him.
      "There's also another race at Listowel three weeks after that which we'll also think about.
      "We hope he'll be good enough for all the big festivals, and maybe the two-mile race (the Arkle) at Cheltenham might suit him next spring.
      "That's a long way off, though, so have to see how he gets on in his next few starts.
      "It's pointless going to these big meetings to finish third or fourth - we'd go there to win."

Comment

Puffin Billy could turn out to be a real good chaser. One for the shortlist.

C. Fever is and should be favourite for this. he's afine stamp of a horse with chaser written all over him. Sure to shorten up when he runs and wins his first chase which no doubt he will. 5/1 looks a good bet to me

Comment

Originally posted by The Judge View Post
          Puffin Billy could turn out to be a real good chaser. One for the shortlist.

C. Fever is and should be favourite for this. he's afine stamp of a horse with chaser written all over him. Sure to shorten up when he runs and wins his first chase which no doubt he will. 5/1 looks a good bet to me
          Will Champagne Fever run in it though ? Always saw his future over further. If Annie Power goes chasing they will have a few to juggle.

Comment

Dodging Bullets introduced ... ? http://www.fatjockey.com/forum/showt...orse-to-follow

Comment

Defy Logic now quoted after win at Naas

James Nolan, brother of trainer Paul, was delighted with the way the Flemensfirth gelding relaxed on his seasonal debut:- "You're always nervous when it's your best horse and it was hard to eat breakfast this morning! "I'm glad that's out of the way. He's been more relaxed since he came back this year and we've been concentrating at home on getting him to switch off.

"Some people had the attitude that he's a bit quirky but he's as genuine as the day is long and would gallop to the end of the earth for you.

"He just got a bit silly when he came racing. He relaxed in the parade ring today and in the stable yard and I was even worried that he was too quiet.

"Mark was delighted with the way he relaxed. He said he took a big old blow about seven furlongs out and there is a lot of improvement to come. "You can't help but dream with him and that's why you get up in the mornings.

"The plan was, that if everything went according to plan today, that he would go for the Craddockstown at Punchestown and we'll talk to Frank (Berry) now."

Paddy Power gaveDefy Logic a first show of 16/1 for the Arkle at the Cheltenham Festival.
              Taquin De Seuil out tomorrow. Grandouet jocked up on Friday. Not sure why Jezki is getting quoted
              Last edited by mayo; 28 October 2013, 04:07 PM.

Comment

This reported a couple of days ago.Looks for sure Champagne Fever is heading for the Arkle,I'm very happy about that as he is my idea of the winner,Had a bit on the 8's Paddy pants was offering but imo the 6's that is widely available is fair dinkum.

"Champagne Fever will go jumping. He did very well at the end of his bumper career and also last year, before we went hurdling, he showed he was a natural jumper. However I felt he would need the experience of a year over hurdles to teach him how to race. We learned an awful lot about him too, last season. He looks a natural to go chasing over the minimum trip," said Mullins.

Comment

Originally posted by donka View Post
                  This reported a couple of days ago.Looks for sure Champagne Fever is heading for the Arkle,I'm very happy about that as he is my idea of the winner,Had a bit on the 8's Paddy pants was offering but imo the 6's that is widely available is fair dinkum.

"Champagne Fever will go jumping. He did very well at the end of his bumper career and also last year, before we went hurdling, he showed he was a natural jumper. However I felt he would need the experience of a year over hurdles to teach him how to race. We learned an awful lot about him too, last season. He looks a natural to go chasing over the minimum trip," said Mullins.
                  Thanks Donka. Annie Power stays hurdling too. 8s was a fine price. The 5s NRFB with Betvictor looks like an option too.

Comment

Have given Defy Logic his own thread in horses to follow http://www.fatjockey.com/forum/showt...oan-best-horse think Grandouet will be out this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoof View Post
                      Yep

Winters said: "I saw him out in the field and he looks better now than he did when he was going to Cheltenham. I just don't think he fired 100 per cent over there.

"Every year at this time of year he seems to get beaten, so we give him a break and he comes back as good as ever. We're hoping he does the same again this season.

"I just don't think he was in tip-top form going over there. He missed the third-last but he galloped up the hill, which was good to see.

"We'll maybe look to get a run into him in late January and then if we decide to go to Cheltenham, we'd maybe take him over two weeks beforehand and give him a few days out in the field with a rug on to settle in.

"There is plenty of good prize-money at home as well in races like the Powers Gold Cup, so we'd only want to be going to Cheltenham if we thought we had a right chance.

"I think he'd go for the Jewson if he does travel. I just think at two miles in the Arkle they'd go very hard. Barry (Geraghty) thinks he's better over that bit further and the Jewson would probably be a bit easier as well."

Comment

Lydia likes Valdez

Valdez's Newbury success was one of the most taking performances of the week. Granted, he beat inferior rivals but he did so in an exceptionally good time - ducking under standard and faster than more experienced horses on the same card. He looks like a proper Grade One candidate and will be a major player in the Wayward Lad at Kempton on 27 December, his nominated next target. The doubt regarding the Arkle is his tendency to jump markedly right, which he showed at Newbury and also at Exeter. Under pressure, which all but the most exceptional experience at the Festival, that could be a critical frailty. However, 20/1 is not a daft price.

Comment

A few bubbles burst today ..both Taquin de Seuil and balder for Jewson now ?

Comment

I think the two most outstanding candidates for this race are Felix Yonger and Champagne Fever. I think Mullins has a real dilemma on his hands. Yes Champagne Fever looks like he needs further than two miles but he had the speed to win the Supreme last year and you do need to stay further than two miles to win an Arkle. I think CF was nailed on for this race before the emergance of FY. They might try and step one of them up but at the minute Felix Yonger at 12/1 in places would be my idea of a decent bet as if he turns up for this race and CF isnt there then he will probably go off something like 9/2.

Comment

Originally posted by skippymac6 View Post
                              I think the two most outstanding candidates for this race are Felix Yonger and Champagne Fever. I think Mullins has a real dilemma on his hands. Yes Champagne Fever looks like he needs further than two miles but he had the speed to win the Supreme last year and you do need to stay further than two miles to win an Arkle. I think CF was nailed on for this race before the emergance of FY. They might try and step one of them up but at the minute Felix Yonger at 12/1 in places would be my idea of a decent bet as if he turns up for this race and CF isnt there then he will probably go off something like 9/2.
                              Yep. Welcome Skippy. Think the Felix Yonger Arkle Champagne Fever Jewson double is overpriced.

Comment

Working...
                              X