Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2014 Champion Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Champion Hurdle

THE STAN JAMES CHAMPION HURDLE CHALLENGE TROPHY (CLASS 1) (Grade 1)

Total prize fund £400000 £227800 to the winning horse The second to receive £85480, the third £42800, the fourth £21320, the fifth £10720 and the sixth £5360

for four yrs old and upwards which are allotted a rating of 130 or more by the BHA Head of Handicapping following a review of the horses entered and after taking account of races run up to
    and including March 4th. Horses which are not qualified for a rating in Great Britain, Ireland or France may also be entered. Such horses may be eligible providing the Handicapper is satisfied that the horse's racecourse performances up to and including March 4th would merit a minimum rating of 130.
    The decision of the BHA Head of Handicapping shall be final.

TWO MILES ABOUT HALF A FURLONG

TIMETABLE
    Enter by noon, January 14th and pay £500 stake

Scratch by noon on February 11th or pay £1000
    Confirm by noon on March 5th and pay £500
    Supplementary Entry by noon, March 5th and pay £20000 stake
    Declare by 10.00 a.m. March 9th

Weights: 4-y-o...............11st 2lb;
    5-y-o and up ............... 11st 10lb
    Fillies and mares allowed ........ 7lb

RECENT WINNERS

2013 HURRICANE FLY (IRE) 9-11-10 R. WALSH W. P. MULLINS 13-8 9
    2012 ROCK ON RUBY (IRE) 7-11-10 NOEL FEHILY PAUL NICHOLLS 11-1 10
    2011 HURRICANE FLY (IRE) 7-11-10 R. WALSH W. P. MULLINS 11-4 11
    2010 BINOCULAR (FR) 6-11-10 A. P. MCCOY N. J. HENDERSON 9-1 12
    2009 PUNJABI 6-11-10 B. J. GERAGHTY N. J. HENDERSON 22-1 23

2013 Race Video

For the record odds and initial thoughts with 51 weeks to go...

Our Conor obviously impressive but 5 year olds ?
    Hurricane Fly impressive but 10 year olds?
    The New One ...will he stay hurdling?
    My Tent or Yours 10s...interesting
    Grandouet 16s ...too fragile for me
    Jezki 16s ...think MTOY has the edge
    Champagne Fever ...going chasing connections have Annie Power?
    Countrywide Flame ...still improving shortlisted
    Rock on Ruby ..chasing?
    Simonsig ...King George then Ryanair please
    Zarkandar ...World Hurdle
    Oscar Whisky ...chasing?
    Annie Power ..mare allowance definite shortlist
    Far West...why should he reverse form with Our Conor?

Odds

Our Conor (steamer5), Hurricane Fly (11/2drifter), The New One (8), My Tent Or Yours (10), Grandouet (16), Jezki (16), Champagne Fever (20), Countrywide Flame (20), Rock On Ruby (20), Simonsig (20), Zarkandar (20), Oscar Whisky (25), Annie Power (33), Far West (33), Cinders And Ashes (50), Rolling Star (50), Binocular (66), Dodging Bullets (66)
    Last edited by Old Vic; 15 January 2014, 01:35 PM.

My tent or yours for me ...Henderson always gets a good bit more out of his hurdlers after their novice year.

2013 Supreme Novices Hurdle Video

Last edited by Old Vic; 7 January 2014, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Read elsewhere thenewone will be aimed at Champion Hurdle.

2013 Neptune Novices Hurdle

Last edited by Old Vic; 7 January 2014, 08:12 AM.

Comment

2013 Tr iumph Hurdle

Paul Carberry

"Our Conor was very impressive in the Triumph and I think he will be the main danger to Hurricane Fly,The New One is a very good horse and could go either way - the Champion Hurdle or longer distances - but Hurricane Fly proved he is still the best around and although he will be ten next year he'll be the one they all have to beat if he has another trouble-free season."

Trainer Gary Moore,

"Watching Our Conor I was so impressed; you'd have to think he's the new kid on the block. The only concern would be that he certainly seems to enjoy soft or heavy ground and you don't know how he'd handle faster conditions. Age has to catch up with Hurricane Fly at some point and I thought Our Conor looked the real deal."
        Last edited by Old Vic; 7 January 2014, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Dunwoody

Hurricane Fly became the first horse since Comedy Of Errors in 1975 to regain the Champion Hurdle and he certainly silenced a lot of his doubters with a decent victory. However, a bit like his 2011 win you have to ask yourself did he actually beat a quality field? Yes, he had last year's Champion, Rock On Ruby, well held in second, but it was interesting to find out that his time was slower than the Supreme Novices' Hurdle won earlier in the day by a horse (Champagne Fever) deemed likely to be more of a stayer. Add in that The New One's Neptune win the following day was also backed up by some impressive speed figures then this gives further evidence to the theory this year's Champion Hurdle might not have been the best ever run.

While all this is before we've even touched on one of the performances of the week when Our Conor trounced a big field in Friday's Triumph Hurdle. That win saw Dessie Hughes' new star name being cut into around 5/1 favourite with most firms for next year's Champion Hurdle. His time was a massive 7 seconds quicker than the County Hurdle, run later on the card - it looks as if a star is born. Yes, Triumph winners don't have the best of records in the Champion but this horse looks the real deal and in what could be a 'changing of the guard year' in this division next term he could defy the stats.

Also depending on what happens with Big Buck's next season it wouldn't be the worst shout in the world to see Paul Nicholls opt to run this year's fourth, Zarkandar, in the World Hurdle - he doesn't lack speed, but has always looked to me as if he wants a tiny bit further and after all we saw two horses better known as 2 milers in Celestial Halo and Solwhit battle out this year's World Hurdle.

Comment

25s about Rock on Ruby on betfair seems too much. Had a fairly interrupted prep last year and maybe set it up for the Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Morning Glory View Post
              25s about Rock on Ruby on betfair seems too much. Had a fairly interrupted prep last year and maybe set it up for the Fly.
              I think he has an ew chance but cant see him winning. still 20s with the books.

Hurricane Fly (5), Our Conor (5), My Tent Or Yours (6), The New One (8), Jezki (12), Annie Power (20), Grandouet (20), Quevega (20), Rock On Ruby (20), Simonsig (20), Champagne Fever (25), Un De Sceaux (25), Countrywide Flame (33), Diakali (33), Far West (33), Oscar Whisky (33), Zarkandar (33), Melodic Rendezvous (40), Cinders And Ashes (50), Court Minstrel (50)

Jezki is 12s with Willam Hill. Good each way punt ( even this far out).

back in training

Jezki is back at trainer Jessica Harrington's County Kildare base ahead of the new jumps season and a campaign that could lead to the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham in March.

The three-times Grade One winner has only met with defeat twice under National Hunt rules, both times at the Cheltenham Festival.

He finished eighth behind Champagne Fever in the Bumper two years ago, while he was a fine third behind Willie Mullins' grey in the Supreme Novices' Hurdle in March.

That form was turned on its head at Punchestown, though, and the Champion Hurdle is his main aim this coming season.

"He's just back and is in great form," said Harrington.

"He's only a five-year-old, but the plan is to go down the Champion Hurdle route.

"I've not talked to Frank (Berry, owner JP McManus' racing manager) yet about plans."
              Last edited by mayo; 18 August 2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Hurricane Fly : He may be 10 years old but he showed no signs of feeling it last season. Until he does writing him off would be foolish.
                You could count the hard races he's had on one hand which is a plus. WM knows the game inside out and it wouldn't surprise me if he gave the Fly only a couple of runs this time round before the big one. He remains the one they all have to beat.

Our Conor: His impressive win at the festival had the bookies running for cover and punters counting their winning before the dust had settled. Personally I would have been far more impressed had there been a few horses around him and he had shot clear from the last and won by 5 lengths or so. When horses hack up like he did you have to wonder was it just one of those races. He's obviously very useful but I wouldn't be judging him on his festival win. I cast me mind back to Grand Crus winning at Cheltenham and looking like he was the next pegasus but was made to look ordinary by Big Bucks. For me the jury id still out on Our Conor.

My Tent Or Yours. Great traveler but there's a huge kink in his armour. On 3 separate occasions he lost out when the chips are down. He could win a Champion Hurdle if he absolutely hacked up but if it comes to a fight up the hill then I'd be hitting the lay all the way to the line. It's not a Harchiblad issue with him it's more of a physical problem he just seems to be incapable of finding that extra gear.
                I doubt if even Nicky henderson could change that.

The New One: Touch as nails but he'll find the leap from novice hurdling to Champion Hurdling way beyond him. I don't know what they are planning but I'd aim him for the Arkle as he has very little chance of ever winning the Champion Hurdle IMO.

Jezki: He might just be good enough to win a Champion Hurdle if he is 100% on theday and others run a bit below their best. I wouldn't back him AP though. I could see him drifting in the market as he's very likely to be trained for the day and bad un during the season. If he turns up in or out of form I'd be having a saver on him.

Countryside Flame: No where near good enough place chance at best.

Far West: This is a very good horse with bundles of talent. He ran a weird race behind Our Conor and was well beaten I doubt if he'll beat him as far again. Definitely one to follow in the coming season and with another year on his back could be anything. I really like this horse and he's well worth an ew ap tickle.

Zarkandar: never has been and never will be good enough to win a Champion Hurdle.

Annie Power: Agree with Old Vic she's got to be on the short list. Wouldn't be the first mare to win a Champion Hurdle nor the last if she does.

Simonsig: More chance of Frankel running in the CH than him.

Rock On Ruby: I'd stay hurdling with him only this time have him fit from day one and pick up a couple of trials. They geared him up for one day last season and he ran well below his best. Only a dreamer would go that route again. Can't possible win another CH IMO but he's still very good at the game.

Comment

Good post The Judge

I have come round to Jezki a bit since my original post. He was impressive at Punchestown. Henderson was very bullish about Grandouet in Mark Howard's book but he is no ante post bet.

Comment

I was all over Grandouet like a rash last season. I thought with another year on his back he would have been the one to beat but alas he hit the deck. Whether Nicky will keep him hurdling or not remains to be seen.

His greatest asset has got to be the way he travels during a race and when they travel as well as he does winning is never out of the question.

Be a brave man who backs him antepost and a stupid man (me) who doesn't have a few shillings on just in case

Comment

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum but couldn't resist joining as any discussion about the festival gets my ears pricked.It's great to read all the thoughts and opinions from fellow racing fans.
                      I'll be adding my thoughts about the runners in the main festival races but for now a quick mention about The New One who i believe has a fantastic chance in the champion.
                      Heres the latest from the NTD's camp on The New One.

This was reported on the 25th sep so you may have already seen this-

THE NEW ONE, described by Nigel Twiston-Davies as potentially the best horse he has trained and a leading contender for this season's Stan James Champion Hurdle, was on Tuesday reported to be in phenomenal form as he gears up for his first start of the campaign next month.
                      Owned by Simon Such, the five-year-old ran out an impressive winner of the Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival before running a creditable second to Zarkandar in open company in the Aintree Hurdle.
                      He ended the season with an official rating of 165, a mark not bettered by a novice hurdler since Iris's Gift in 2002-03.
                      Kempton's Listed 2m hurdle on October 20 has been identified as the starting point for The New One, the Champion Hurdle sponsor's 6-1 fourth favourite.
                      "He's had a fantastic summer, is back in training and has just started doing his first pieces of fast work," said Such. "He's awesome, in really good nick.
                      "We'll probably go to Kempton first providing conditions are right. It's two miles, going down the Champion Hurdle route."
                      The regard in which The New One was held last season remains sky-high. "Nigel's absolutely ecstatic," Such added. "Nigel's very much a closed and guarded book but he just can't contain himself when he sees him coming up the gallops - he's absolutely phenomenal."

Comment

Welcome Donka,

The Neptune has been a useful pointer to next seasons champion hurdle and looking forward to see how The New One fares against Rock on Ruby on Sunday. I was a bit disappointed with him at Aintree but he had along season.

I see the runner up in Neptune stays over hurdles too...

Last season's Neptune Novices' Hurdle runner-up Rule The World is on course to make his comeback in the Lismullen Hurdle at Navan on November 10.

Trained by Mouse Morris and owned by Gigginstown House Stud, the six-year-old won the Slaney Novice Hurdle last season before being sent to Prestbury Park.

As is usual for one trained by his shrewd handler, Rule The World was not there to make up the numbers and he beat all bar The New One at the Cheltenham Festival.

He then turned out at the Punchestown Festival but suffered an injury and was pulled up.

"I'm really looking forward to Rule The World," said Morris. "He'll stay over hurdles this year - he won't go chasing just yet - and we'll take him to Navan for the Lismullen, a Grade Two.

"Unfortunately he fractured his pelvis when he ran at Punchestown but he recovered from that unbelievably quickly and we just need some nice ground."

Comment

Hello Old Vic,Thanks for the welcome.

I too was a little disappointed with TNO at aintree but feel that sam TD got him racing a bit too soon and maybe failed to take advantage of his finishing kick.I'm looking forward to sundays race hoping that the TNO will confirm my thoughts that he's a proper two miler.
                          The first 3 home in this years neptune have all been talked about separately by their trainers as potentially being the best horses they have had which to me underlines what a quality race the 2013 neptune was.

I shall be keeping a very interested eye on Rule the World as he seems to be a top notch animal,Just hope the injury has no lasting effects,I suspect he'll will be going over a longer trip with maybe the world hurdle a target.

Comment

I have looked through the festival results as far back as 1990 and unearthed some very interesting facts concerning the Supreme/Neptune/Triumph & Champion hudle races.
                            First the Neptune then others to follow.

Horses that have won or been placed in the Neptune that run in the Champion the following year-

Neptune Hurdle 1990+ ; Champion Hurdle ;

1991-Minorettes Girl 2nd 1992- Unplaced @ 16/1
                            1994-Danoli won 1995- 3rd @ 4/1j
                            1997-Istabraq won 1998- won @ 3/1
                            1998-French Holly won 1999- 3rd @ 11/2
                            2003-Hardy Eustace won 2004- won @ 33/1
                            2007-Catch Me 3rd 2008- Unplaced @ 10/1
                            2010-Peddlers Cross won 2011- 2nd @ 9/2
                            2011-Rock on Ruby 2nd 2012- won @ 11/1

3 wins
                            1 × 2nd place
                            2 × 3rd places
                            2 unplaced

Profit/Loss to a £20win stake = £840 Profit
                            Profit/Loss to a £10e/w stake = £552.50 Profit

This years qualifying Neptune representative to run in the 2014 Champion is THE NEW ONE.
                            Last edited by Old Vic; 19 October 2013, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I have looked through the festival results as far back as 1990 and unearthed some very interesting facts concerning the Supreme/Neptune/Triumph & Champion hudle races.
                              First the Neptune then others to follow.

Horses that have won or been placed in the Neptune that run in the Champion the following year-

Neptune Hurdle 1990+ ; Champion Hurdle ;

1991-Minorettes Girl 2nd 1992- Unplaced @ 16/1
                              1994-Danoli won 1995- 3rd @ 4/1j
                              1997-Istabraq won 1998- won @ 3/1
                              1998-French Holly won 1999- 3rd @ 11/2
                              2003-Hardy Eustace won 2004- won @ 33/1
                              2007-Catch Me 3rd 2008- Unplaced @ 10/1
                              2010-Peddlers Cross won 2011- 2nd @ 9/2
                              2011-Rock on Ruby 2nd 2012- won @ 11/1

3 wins
                              1 × 2nd place
                              2 × 3rd places
                              2 unplaced

Profit/Loss to a £20win stake = £840 Profit
                              Profit/Loss to a £10e/w stake = £552.50 Profit

This years qualifying Neptune representative to run in the 2014 Champion is THE NEW ONE.

Comment

Working...
                              X