Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Booze and Grub Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheltenham Booze and Grub Thread

Were we right ?

Last edited by Old Vic; 20 January 2016, 09:06 PM.

The Daffodil is alright for grub. Probably need to book it. Good Indian up the Bath road but cant think of the name of it. Past morans eating house on opposite side of road.

Comment

The Savage mushroom - 2 michelin stars

The Champignon Sauvage has remained one of Cheltenham and Gloucestershire’s finest restaurants since it was opened in 1987 by chef David Everitt-Matthias and his wife Helen. Serving modern French food made from the finest ingredients, Le Champignon Sauvage has become both a favourite with Gloucestershire foodies, as well as gastronomes travelling to the county especially to dine at the renowned restaurant in the Suffolks area of town.

Out of town

his year more than 120 restaurants in the UK and Ireland were awarded one star – including 5 North Street in Winchcombe and Lords of the Manor Restaurant in Upper Slaughter once again this year.

Comment

Top 10 on Tripadvisor

1. Prithvi Restaurant, in Bath Road. The restaurant has been given a five-star rating with 369 reviews

2. Lumiere, in Clarence Parade. The restaurant has been given a five-star rating with 297 reviews

3. Star Bistro, at the National Star Colllege, Ullenwood. The restaurant has been given a five-star review with 45 reviews,

4. Well Walk Tea Room, Well Walk. It has been given a four-and-a-half star review, with 198 reviews

5. KIBOUsushi, in Regent Street. It has been given a four-and-a-half star review, with 68 reviews

6. L'artisan, in Clarence Street. It has been given a four-and-a-half star review, with 119 reviews

7. Daphne Restaurant, in Crescent Place, has been given a four-and-a-half star review, with 379 reviews

8. Kemble Brewery Inn, in Fairview Street. It has been given a five-star review, with 26 reviews

9. Turkish Grille Restaurant, in Winchcombe Street. It has been given a four-and-a-half star review, with 216 reviews

10. Central Cross Cafe, in Central Cross Drive, it has been given a four-and-a-half star review, with 317 reviews

Read more: http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk...#ixzz2uqJxLYxz

Comment

UKs top fish and chips are in Cheltenham now

Comment

Can anyone recommend where to go after racing?

We went to Cheltenham last year but didn't have a clue where to go after racing. We ended up in the Queens but did a lot of walking before we stumbled across it. There are 8 of us going this year and somewhere with live music, which isn't too upmarket would be right up our street.

Any advice would be greatly received!

Comment

FM

I've found this depends entirely on age.
              When I was 18-25 we stayed on a friends floor in sleeping bags, 26-35 used several different hotels/guest houses, and for the past 10 years we've stayed either in Stow or Bourton where pace is slower and life is a little more comfortable and relaxing.
              I could recommend one or two restaurants (Curry Corner being one of them) but pubs no idea - years ago we used the Pigs (can't remember if it was 5 or 7 pigs but it's town centre) and the Restoration, both were good with less rowdy young 'uns than most...

Comment

Thanks Ista.

We are staying in Gloucester again this year. We'll be staying in Cheltenham after racing then getting a taxi back to the hotel in the early hours.

I thought I'd try and find out where we should be heading this year as last year we were totally disorganised!

Comment

some ideas

would probably put the beehive ww.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186284-d3902874-Reviews-Beehive_Pub_Cheltenham-Cheltenham_Cotswolds_England.html
                  in the top 10 now too.
                  Last edited by Old Vic; 20 January 2016, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Fiery Angel used to be a haunt of ours on Tuesday after racing as it's just round the corner from Curry Corner but I think the place closed down a couple of years ago.

I'll admit I've become intolerent of bar queues and pushing/shoving which is why I avoid pubs in town, the number of uni students collecting for 'charity' can also irritate, but these are no doubt symptoms of me being a miserable old git !

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                      Can anyone recommend where to go after racing?

We went to Cheltenham last year but didn't have a clue where to go after racing. We ended up in the Queens but did a lot of walking before we stumbled across it. There are 8 of us going this year and somewhere with live music, which isn't too upmarket would be right up our street.

Any advice would be greatly received!
                      Try out the 21 Club Faugheen. A good racing crowd on the lash in there with some retro tunes.

Comment

Originally posted by Morning Glory View Post
                        Try out the 21 Club Faugheen. A good racing crowd on the lash in there with some retro tunes.
                        I'd go along with that.

Comment

Working...
                        X