Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Graham Bradley returns ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graham Bradley returns ?

Graham Bradley will take the first step on what would be a sensational comeback to frontline racing by attending the first of three BHA courses required to become a trainer next week. The charismatic but controversial former jockey yesterday confirmed he had enrolled for the first of three modules which all prospective trainers must complete.

Bradley was a sublimely skilled jump jockey, whose wins included the 1983 Cheltenham Gold Cup on Bregawn and 1996 Champion Hurdle on Collier Bay. But his huge talent in the saddle was matched by a propensity to attract trouble.

This was reflected in title of his autobiography – The Wayward Lad – a play on words to tie in with another great chase he rode.It culminated in a five-year ban from the sport in 2002 imposed by the Jockey Club for passing on information for reward to Brian Wright, a man subsequently jailed for 30 years after being exposed as one of Britain’s biggest cocaine dealers. But the popularity of charismatic rider was reflected in the witnesses appearing on his behalf, including AP McCoy, Richard Dunwoody and Peter Scudamore.

The five-year exile halted Bradley’s successful bloodstock business which has seen him buy horses for clients including ex-Liverpool footballers Robbie Fowler and Steve McManaman. Horses bought by Bradley since his ban ended include Donald McCain’s Grand Annual Chase possible Desert Cry, a novice part-owned by Everton boss David Moyes.

Bradley was granted a 24-hour riding licence by the BHA to allow him to ride in charity Leger Legends race at Doncaster in 2010 - a move which provoked criticism in some quarters. Having served his ban, Bradley’s slate in again clean but how racing’s ruling body react to his plans will again provoke polar opinions with his past indiscretions leading to questions whether he is a suitable candidate to be a trainer.

Bradley said: ‘I can confirm I will take the first trainers module next week – my name is on the list but I cannot say anything else at the moment.’

The fact that the BHA have accepted Bradley’s £2,000 fee for the first trainers’ course at the British Racing School in Newmarket is evidence they are willing to consider his application. But Bradley is also likely to be additionally quizzed by the Licencing Committee before his application is approved. BHA spokesman Robin Mounsey said: ‘First time applicants for Licences to Train are required to demonstrate or confirm that they meet the established criteria which include, but are not limited to, competence and capability to train, access to appropriate training facilities and that they are otherwise in all the circumstances suitable to hold a licence, i.e. that they are 'fit and proper’.

‘Any application received by Graham Bradley for a Licence to Train would be treated in this manner.Attendance on the trainers course modules form part of the licence criteria, but in no way does attendance indicate that a licence application will be approved. The British Horseracing Authority determines applications in accordance with Schedule (A)9 of the Rules of Racing, which may include referral to the Licensing Committee.'
Working...
X