Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Will Mick Channon have a Cheltenham Festival winner ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Mick Channon have a Cheltenham Festival winner ?

Let's have a Channon thread ....

Mick Channon ready to be a national figure once again - Telegraph

The notion amuses him. “I haven’t got three Flat horses which would get a mile and a half on a bus,” he conceded. “Only about three trainers can win the Derby, because of the pedigrees.”

Warming to the theme he continued: “Youmzain would have handled it [in 2006] but I wasn’t allowed to run him and, after he had won the Voltigeur, I wasn’t allowed to run him in the Leger either so we went to France for a Group Two which was meant to be easier. But he met Rail Link, who won the Arc three weeks later.”

In the circular way that racing works a good few of Channon’s 80 two-year-olds for the Flat season ahead are by Sixties Icon, who won the Leger in Youmzain’s year and who has made such a promising start as a sire, thanks largely to Channon’s faith in him.

But when the entries for the John Smith’s Grand National are announced today Channon’s name will be in the trainers’ column alongside Calgary Bay, one of a dozen horses he inherited from National Hunt trainer Henrietta Knight on her retirement last summer.

She is still heavily involved with the schooling but their relationship is much more than just a marriage of convenience. The Hen and Terry (Biddlecombe) show is over from the public’s point of view but there is plenty of mileage in the sequel, Hen and Mick.

“Going back to Best Mate, she used to use the gallops at West Ilsley,” Channon explained. “She kept a Flat licence and used my stalls, I kept a jump licence and used her schooling ground and it developed from there.

"We get on well and it suits Hen to stay involved. She’s an amazing horsewoman.”

He recalled the story of Halicarnassus, one of his smarter Flat horses. “He was an amazing horse but he could run some real shockers and, before we knew he had a problem with a kissing spine [an equine back disease], we thought he was a thinker and decided to school him over at Hen’s to give him something else to think about.

"Terry and I were sat like two muppets in the car letting Hen get on with it on her immaculate schooling ground.

“Anyway he’s gone up there, he’s smashed three hurdles, gone through two wings and there are hurdles, wings, horses and bodies everywhere.

"We never did run him over hurdles but three weeks later he won a £380,000 race in Turkey so it must have done him some good.”

In some ways having a few jumpers around the place might be seen as a return to his roots. After all, when he was a Southampton footballer he bred Jamesmead and Ghofar.

“I was trying to breed Flat horses,” he said. “And I ended up breeding a Schweppes and Hennessy winner!

"That was not intentional by a long way but what is in racing? I can still hear John Hislop saying that about Brigadier Gerard, that it was all planned, but it’s utter b-------.”

This time a year ago training a handful of serious jumpers was not among his plans, either, but with Loch Ba, Somersby, Calgary Bay, Sgt Reckless, Warden Hill and Viva Steve among others he has the makings of a stronger Cheltenham Festival team than many established jumps trainers.

“Same tools, different sport,” is how he summed it up, surveying a group of raw two-year-olds on Tuesday.

“I enjoy it. Everything with jumpers is so much slower. It’s more about getting into a rhythm, less jump and run, which is what these horses are being trained to do.

“We don’t have many all-weather runners in the winter because we have such a massive turn over of three-year-olds, so this is keeping us occupied.”

Channon is keen for Calgary Bay to have another go at the National after he finished 14th last year.

“He was a bit too keen for the first circuit and always doing a bit too much. He might be better switched off, but on good ground he could be anything.”

You cannot leave Channon without one football question; so what about Southampton’s recent troubles?

“Most big sports – racing’s no different – are governed by the big money,” he said. “An owner buys a good horse, he does what he wants with it. He buys a football team, he does what he wants with it.

"It’s a strange old world we live in but I’m just glad they’re competitive in the top league again.”

The same can be said for Channon: football or racing, always competitive in the top league.

FOSTER'S ROAD ON COURSE FOR THE FRED WINTER AS MRC FLEXES HIS FESTIVAL FIBRES
    Festival fever hit West Ilsley (again) as its "former" flat yard handler got the calendar out and nominated the Fred Winter as the target for FOSTER'S ROAD - a chuffingly good winner of the two mile Jumpers' Bumper at Lingfield yesterday afternoon.

It's fair to say that Dave and Gill 'The Till' Hedley's four year old is a hugely admirable competitor, but his trainer isn't resting on his laurels and after a fine ride from Will Kennedy, Mick is adamant that he'll head for the Cheltenham Festival if the ground and his rating allow.

"Right, I'm not ******* about anymore. We'll go the the Fred Winter if we can get in. I know far more about our entries in the Fred Darling to be honest, but I'm happy to take anyone on if we're allowed to.

"FOSTER'S ROAD can't run a bad race these days and he'll keep everyone honest at the Festival. I was desperate to give him time off at the turn of the year if I'm honest, but he absolutely loves life and I'm not going to give a horse with an appetite for the job time off. He'll get a holiday when he wants one.

"Will Kennedy gave him a fine ride yesterday - they went hard up front and that suited him down to the ground. In previous races on the all-weather they've dawdled in the middle and he's not been able to pick them off at the death. Yesterday played into his hand though and you can't help but love him.

"The owner is a fierce woman and hugely demanding. To be honest she's a dragon to train for and if I don't train a winner at the Festival she'll probably take her horses away from us. This is life at the sharp end!"

Gill Hedley wasn't available to comment as she's in the kitchen at the moment making coffee.

Comment

LOCH BA CONTINUES TO IMPROVE WITH NEWBURY SUCCESS
      A bitter day at Newbury saw Mick continue to warm to the future prospects of the*yard's jumping batallion as Camilla & Tim Radford's LOCH BA made it two wins from three this season with a convincing victory under Dominic Elsworth yesterday afternoon.

In taking the three mile Betfred Goals Galore Handicap Chase by eight lengths, the seven year old son of Craigsteel underlined what a smart and*uncomplicated competitor he's become.

He suffered from hamstring problems towards the back end of last campaign, but with a straight run at things since arriving at West Ilsley and with*his jumping education at West Lockinge, it's fair to say that he couldn't have done things much easier against a competitive field with solid form behind them.

Always prominent, he put in an almost flawless display of jumping which allowed him to launch a challenge two from home and he soon went clear to the delight of Mick & Hen in the winners' enclosure.

"That was a smashing performance and I'm glad we turned up. You always want everything to go right but sometimes you do worry. It's been a wretched winter and there were concerns about the conditions but we have to bite the bullet and just*run them and we're chuffed we did. There are so many times you look like a prat though aren't there!

"He's never been a problem since he came in to us and his jumping will set him up for further improvement you'd hope. Those three mile handicaps at the Festival might be on the radar but, as ever, we'll sit down with Hen and the Radfords and see what we all think.

"We've got some super prospects and a few of them are making us smile about the prospect of Cheltenham. This fella, Sgt Reckless for the Bumper and we don't know what we have with Warden Hill at the moment. It's a great position to be in for the whole team."

Comment

SGT RECKLESS ROMPS HOME AT LINGFIELD IN FINE STYLE
        A "Fun" horse bred by one of Mick's best friends and running in the colours of Camilla & Tim Radford made a few people sit up and take note at Lingfield yesterday as SGT RECKLESS followed up his impressive debut at Wincanton to take Division II of the Bumper in eye-catching fashion.

SGT RECKLESS was bred by Bridget Coyle who left the imposing son of Imperial Dancer to Mick in her will upon her untimely death over three years ago.*

He was unfurnished, unsophisticated and unbelievable. He was huge and quite a sight when he was introduced to full time work as a cumbersome, gangly three year old being put through his paces in hack canters with the new influx of yearlings.

He was known to everyone as "The Police Horse" and was a source of great amusement for quite some time, especially seeing as he was even greener that the yearlings he was accompanying.

He was a long term project with sentimental value for MRC although he developed very, very slowly. Indeed, evolution seems to happen slightly quicker when you're used to seeing yearlings progress from being broken, backed and ridden to making their racecourse debuts in the space of seven months.

When the time came to get serious though, a few of us were left feeling rather silly when he accompanied a recent winner to have a blow around Newbury racecourse one gloomy Sunday morning.

As they emerged from the fog, Will Kennedy and the Police Horse were fully five lengths in front of the recent first time out winner who was receiving two stone by way of having Martin Harley on board.

When asked what was wrong with his horse, Martin said, "Nothing, this went well."

Mick's response was, "#### me!"*

And so SGT Reckless was named, then aimed at a Bumper at Wincanton in May. His eight length win that day was impressive and he arrived at Lingfield yesterday afternoon with everyone at West Ilsley intrigued as to how he'd fare under a penalty against some fancied opposition.

Dominic Elsworth took no chances and was forced wide for a large part of the two mile all-weather affair. SGT RECKLESS had too much class for them however, and despite weight and a less than ideal passage, prevailed by a length and a half.

On his way back from Australia, Mick listened to the commentary in Singapore airport and has just watched the replay in the office having returned home this morning. He's rather chuffed and obviously enjoying something of an adventure with an uncomplicated individual with bags of promise.

"I'm just pleased he won, for Bridget bless her, her husband Roger Stack and obviously Camilla & Tim who've been great with us.

"He had a little setback before the New Year as we were going to run him at the Paddy Power meeting but had to back off for a short while. That's why we went down the safe route of the all weather as the ground has been desperate - or so I heard from Australia!

"He's up and running now and he'll have a few easy days before we get together and hatch a plan. We'd like to think Cheltenham will be a possibility because he's a very talented horse who has a bit of a fan club here and we don't quite know how good he is.

"He's done everything asked of him and let's hope he continues along those lines and turns into a proper horse. He's six now but has only run twice so he's not really a professional yet - that can only be a positive. He's a lovely big lad and a real fun horse to be involved with."

Comment

Working...
        X