Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Ruby Walsh Tips Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruby Walsh Tips Thread

Deserves his own thread IMO. A bit lost within the Nicholls and Mullins thread and rides plenty of others anyway. Three main sources ..examiner in Ireland, racing uk and paddy power.

examiner 19.1.13

Leave it to Lambro

I’m spending a rare Saturday at home today in Naas - weather permitting - after Ascot was abandoned yesterday.

I had a number of rides lined up at Ascot, but the main reason for travelling was Sanctuaire in the Victor Chandler.

I know he was going to be up against taking on Sprinter Sacre again, but I just love riding in big races and the Victor Chandler was set to be the major prize of the weekend.

Mind you, the only way Sanctuaire could have won was if Nicky Henderson’s headman forgot to load Sprinter Sacre onto the box!

I have three rides at Naas, starting with the modest Mr Groocock in the first, a maiden hurdle. He was disappointing both at Wexford and Limerick and needs to improve a lot to win this.

So Young looks much more inviting in a Grade 3 over hurdles. He ran a blinder at Leopardstown at Christmas, finishing third to Monksland and Zaidpour, and we hope he can build on that.

The Leopardstown performance was no surprise to us, because So Young is an unbelievable horse at home.

I still think he was unlucky not to win a Neptune at Cheltenham - form which is rock solid. Basically, he is very good, but hard enough to work out.

He is just the sort of challenge Willie Mullins delights in. The problem today, of course, is having to concede Solwhit 7lbs.

We are all aware of how good Solwhit was in the past and he seemed to return from injury in good shape when chasing home Bog Warrior at Punchestown on New Year’s Eve.

If the real Solwhit strips then we are facing a hard task, but I’m more than happy with my horse, who is in right nick at the moment.

Tennis Cap completes my afternoon in a handicap hurdle. He’s reasonably well handicapped, if I can get the best out of him, but think Tony Martin’s Matsukaze is the one we all have to beat.

He won in a canter for me at Navan last time and I won’t fall off the chair should he defy a 14lbs rise in the weights.

Willie runs two others, Aupcharlie and Un Atout, and they have obvious chances. Aupcharlie is Andrew Lynch’s ride and has to be fancied for a Grade 2 novice chase.

I beat them on Back In Focus at Leopardstown, when Aupcharlie stumbled at the back of the last, losing valuable momentum.

Un Atout is a horse I have always liked and will be more than surprised should he fail to deliver for Davy Russell in a two-mile novice hurdle.

Tony Martin has booked me for Quickpick Vic in the first division of the maiden hurdle at Fairyhouse tomorrow and I’m hoping he gets me off to a flier.

I’m aware he has been a little bit disappointing in two bumpers, but do know Quickpick Vic has schooled quite nicely.

Greedy A.P comes across to partner City Slicker for Willie and J P McManus in the second division and wouldn’t you imagine he’d want to be doing something better with his Sunday?

I schooled City Slicker the other day and he jumps well. So I’ve actually got the horse ready for A.P, what more can I do for him?

Willie has set a tasty puzzle by running both Tasitiocht and Twigline in a Listed hurdle for mares.

Patrick Mullins is Tasitiocht’s regular partner and I team up with Twigline. Tasitiocht is good and has done little wrong so far.

Twigline, who came from France, won a moderate maiden hurdle for me with any amount in hand at Fairyhouse.

Neither is overly big, but it is more than a possibility they will finish one and two. I’d say there is only a good jump between them and just hope to get lucky.

Conor O’Dwyer has given me the nod for Caballo De Marcus in a handicap hurdle. I rode Living Next Door to beat him in a maiden hurdle at Limerick.

That looked an atrocious contest on paper, but it rode like a half-decent race and I’m more than happy to be aboard a horse who is rated just 100.

I’m on Lambro in the Dan Moore Handicap Chase, a race which has very generous prizemoney on offer.

He hasn’t been seen since winning at Punchestown in May and has top weight and an absence of 257 days to overcome.

I am, however, on record as saying that second-season novices are particularly well treated and he falls into that category.

And don’t forget Lambro made a race of it one day last season with Flemenstar at Naas. He’s in real good order at home and I’m certainly expecting a big run.

I end on Sensational Sema for Tony Martin in another handicap chase and let’s just say I’m going to be in trouble if still waiting for a winner at that stage.

i might not be able to get to web in morning can someone paste up please ...want to track him. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mayo View Post
      i might not be able to get to web in morning can someone paste up please ...want to track him. thanks.
      I'll do it ...

Comment

RUBY WALSH: Irish Saint can stake Triumph Hurdle claim

A week ago I said here that the only way Sanctuaire could beat Sprinter Sacre in the Victor Chandler at Ascot, which was postponed and subsequently rescheduled to Cheltenham this afternoon, was if Nicky Henderson’s headman forgot to load their horse into the box.

Well, I haven’t changed my mind, although I’ll be doing everything I can today to beat Sprinter Sacre. Nicky’s seven-year-old is a terrific horse and again hardly broke sweat to score at Sandown on his latest appearance.

I rode Sanctuare to finish third that day and there is simply no escaping the fact Sprinter Sacre beat us nineteen and a half lengths.

Sanctuaire then went to Kempton and won in fine style. He switched off quite beautifully, jumped well, almost fell asleep in the middle of the race and then powered clear up the straight to score in a canter.

I hope he strips in a similar mood now, but no matter how good Sanctuaire is I believe, barring accidents, he will be racing for second. For once I’d love to be totally wrong.

Ruby right +1

I think my best ride comes aboard Irish Saint (pictured) in the first, a Grade 2 hurdle for juveniles. He won at Auteuil, prior to making his debut for Paul Nicholls at Kempton.

I rode him then and we won by 18 lengths. He jumped well, picked up well in the straight and struck me as a very nice horse.

Between Paul and Willie Mullins I currently have three or four possibilities for the Triumph Hurdle and hope that Irish Saint can begin to clear the picture somewhat.

Ruby wrong-1

Pacha Du Polder has a good swing in the weights with Bold Sir Brian, in a handicap chase, for a beating of 16 lengths at Sandown, but I’m not confident of reversing placings.

I’m on record here as saying that Bold Sir Brian might be a Gold Cup horse. He impressed me when winning at Carlisle, I was watching on televison, and even more so close up last time.

It’s more than possible, after this race, that I won’t be the only one talking about him as a possible Cheltenham candidate.

Paul may yet allow Tidal Bay to take his chance in the Argento Chase. The horse was lame on Thurday morning, but has improved and it is probably 50-50 as to whether he will run or not.

Everyone knows Tidal Bay is a real character but I hope he shows because he represents a good old challenge.

ruby wrong -1

Kauto Stone faces a stiff task against Reve De Sivola and Oscar Whisky in the Cleeve Hurdle. He was very disappointing behind Long Run in the King George at Kempton and has to make huge improvement on that effort to take a hand now.

Oscar Whisky is a class act, but failed to stay at Cheltenham in March and, I think, won’t stay here either. Reve De Sivola has endless stamina and is the one to beat, as far as I’m concerned.

Ruby right +1
        Last edited by Lester; 27 January 2013, 04:05 PM.

Comment

I’d expect Dildar to go close in the concluding handicap hurdle. We just got beaten at Kempton, when he tired on the run in.

That was his first outing for a good while — he is bound to come on and has a life — even off a mark 6lbs higher.

Tomorrow, I head to Leopardstown and there is no escaping I’m entitled to make the journey with a degree of optimism.

Hurrficane Fly, in the Irish Champion Hurdle, promises to be the obvious highlight. He has done all that has been asked of him this season and continues in good nick at home.

It is great for the public that Nicky Henderson sends Binocular across to take him on. This will be his first run of the campaign, but he arrives on the back of taking fourth to Rock On Ruby in the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham.

Hurricane Fly, however, who was nowhere near his best, was a place and a length in front of him then, so I cannot think of any reason why Binocular should beat us now.

Ruby right

I start on Urano in a maiden hurdle and, although 22 are set to face the starter, this does look a match between my horse and Some Article and Tony McCoy.

Urano has been beaten by two smart sorts in Ned Buntline at Leopardstown and Ally Cascade at Thurles and chances are is meeting another one here.

My lad is in good form and working well and I hope to come out on the right side of what may well be a lively tussle.

Ruby wrong

Zuzka has made unbelievable improvement of late and I’m looking foward to riding her in the Listed race over flights for mares.

She sluiced in at Leopardstown at Christmas for Patrick Mullins and it is hard to see Willie’s other horse, Glens Melody, who was third that day and is 5lbs worse in now, making a race of it.

wrong

Another I’m particularly looking forward to riding is Pont Alexandre in the Grade 2 novice hurdle. The ex-French horse created a big impression on his debut in Ireland when winning by 13 lengths for me at Navan.

More is required now, on the basis that this is a good race. I think, though, that Pont Alexandre may well be a very, very special horse.

Right

I ride Living Next Door and Galloping Gander in handicaps for Tony Martin, but neither is exactly a betting proposition.

right

Rupert Lamb, in a beginners chase for Willie, is more interesting. Willie feels the trip will suit and thinks he will, at worst, go close.

Right

On balance you would be ahead ...
          Last edited by Lester; 27 January 2013, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Bold sir Brian is 50/1 for the gold cup this morning with http://www.fatjockey.com/visit/paddypower

Comment

Made note to self not to back Nicholls in January because of jabs but ran well enough yesterday. Poquelin might have a chance today ?

Comment

@Racing_UK: Walsh on the #argento "I think Wayward Prince would be the one for me."

Comment

@Racing_UK: Walsh on Dildar: "He ran well at Kempton. At the last I thought he would win and Jason Maguire nabbed me. I think he will like the track."

Comment

Originally posted by Yeehaa View Post
                    Made note to self not to back Nicholls in January because of jabs but ran well enough yesterday. Poquelin might have a chance today ?
                    Note to self was y to go

Comment

It’s looking good for Sandown today, after the meeting passed a second inspection yesterday afternoon.

An early morning inspection saw the four hurdles races on the card abandoned, but Sandown had contingency plans in place and were able to slot in three extra chases to make up a six-race all-chase programme.

I originally had a couple of rides lined up for Paul Nicholls over flights and will now travel for just two bits of action, on Toubab and Keppols Hill.

I’m still delighted to be making the journey, however, because it is far better to be racing than to be sitting around doing nothing.

What Sandown has done is to make the best of a bad situation and have to be commended for that. Much of Britain and Ireland is flooded right now and it is terrific that racing is taking place.

Before getting into the weekend action, though, I want to first to have a glance back at Leopardstown last Sunday. I was seriously pleased with Hurricane Fly and thought he put up a great performance, in terrible conditions.

Look, I know you can argue he only did what was to be expected, but his jumping was quick and accurate and he gave me a great feel throughout.

I’ve seen him at Willie’s this week and he seems to have come of out of the race in fine shape. He looks really well and just seems in right form at the moment.

I was blown away — no pun intended — by Pont Alexandre in the novice hurdle. To make all in the manner he did was quite superb.

His race was run in a virtual hurricane, with rain, sleet and snow to contend with as well. But he made light of it all and I loved the way he quickened off the last bend.

To me he was going faster in the straight, when he hit the better ground, than at any stage of the race. This is a good horse.

My two at Sandown are in handicaps and both have reasonable chances. Toubab, admittedly, has his share of weight off 11-11.

He has to leave behind a disappointing effort at Ascot last time, for Daryl Jacob, to take a hand now and I think will at least achieve that much.

I gather he’s in good form at home, is a fine jumper and does travel beautifully through his races. The problem with this horse, of course, is that he doesn’t find much off the bridle, so I’ll be trying to keep him on it as long as possible.

In contrast to Toubab, Keppols Hill has a nice weight, 10-5, and I’ll be disappointed should he, at worst, not hit the bar.

He would have won at Exeter, but for falling at the last, and then made no mistake in a beginners chase at Chepstow subsequently.

Running in a handicap will suit, can be a bit idle, and he will love the ground and the trip. I have to be optimistic.

I have a strong enough book of rides at Punchestown tomorrow and hope to get off to a flier in the first, a maiden hurdle, on Upazo.

I have to say when he got beaten by Jennies Jewel at Naas that his dispaly disappointed me, at least a little. But then Jennies Jewel went to Leopardstown last Sunday to chase home Glens Melody in a Listed event and put things in perspective.

As well as the form getting a decent boost, we also have to factor in the fact Upazo never settled at Naas. He never spat it out and then paid the price, having nothing left when Jennies Jewel threw down her challenge from the last.

My first priority then will be to get him to settle, whether that will be in front or elsewhere I don’t know, but if we can manage that then I think he’ll deliver.

I’m on Mozoltov, against Don Cossack, in the Grade 2 hurdle and this has the makings of a fascinating tussle. Don Cossack was below par behind Pont Alexandre at Navan and connections obviously think he is a far better horse than that. Indeed, all of his previous efforts would indicate such is the case.

Mozoltov is smart, winning two bumpers and then easily landing a modest maiden hurdle first time out this season at Gowran Park.

This is an entirely different test, but I like Mozoltov and we are very happy with him at home. I’m not saying we are sure to beat an on-song Don Cossack, but will be disappointed all the same should he not jump the last bang in contention.

I’m on Royal Reveille for my father in the three-mile handicap hurdle, but he’s been off a long time and dad’s other runner, Colbert Station, is a far more likely winner, with greedy A.P coming across to ride him.

Blazing Tempo takes on Sizing Europe in a Grade 2 over fences, but the best we can surely hope for is second and some more black type for the mare.

Lambro has top weight in a two-mile handicap chase, but I’m sweet on his prospects. He hasn’t run since winning at Punchestown in May, but is going particularly well at home and could actually be ahead of the handicapper.

Vesper Bell, with just two outings over fences under his belt, is saddled with top weight in the National Trial and has to concede lumps of weight all round.

He is a wonderful jumper and will stay four and a half miles, but whether a horse so inexperienced can prove equal to such a task remains to be seen.Home

Comment

RUBY WALSH: Conti can deliver in style

I ride in all seven races at Newbury today, but the undoubted highlight promises to be Silviniaco Conti (pictured) in the Denman Chase.

Saturday, February 09, 2013

I ride in all seven races at Newbury today, but the undoubted highlight promises to be Silviniaco Conti (pictured) in the Denman Chase.

Ruby Walsh: THE TALK OF RACING

I’m delighted Long Run doesn’t run in the contest. It’s not that I have any great fear of taking him on, it’s just that Silviniaco could do with not having a hard race, as he completes his preparations for the Gold Cup.

My horse was given a good break by Paul Nicholls after beating Long Run by two and a half lengths at Haydock in November.

He has done nothing wrong in his last three outings and is one I just like a lot. I belive he’ll win this and will be looking to him to produce an impressive display as well.

I start aboard a horse I know little enough about — Lac Fontana — in a novice hurdle. What I do know is that he’s ex-French and was second at Saint-Cloud in June.

This looks very competitive to boot and running him here, to my way of thinking, is something of a shot in the dark.

Rangitoto is next in a three miles plus handicap hurdle. Truth to tell, he has been a bit disappointing and I’m just hoping for the best.

Simonsig misses the Grade 2 chase and that’s obviously going to make it a lot easier for the rest of us. I had a choice between Edgardo Sol and Shooters Wood and went with the latter. He’s won two at Cheltenham, wears his heart on his sleeve and likes to race on the pace.

Shooters Wood also loves to travel left-handed, but the bottom line is that he has to improve to be capable of winning a contest such as this.

The Betfair Hurdle — I team up with Pearl Swan — is going take some winning and luck in running will be vital. Pearl Swan hasn’t run over flights since falling at the last, closing down the leaders at the time, in the Triumph Hurdle at Cheltenham in March.

Fitness, however, won’t be an issue, having finished second for me on the all-weather at Kempton 15 days ago.

My worry is that Pearl Swan will lack the tactical speed which is so vital in a race such as this and we will certainly need the cards to fall just right for us.

Unioniste is one of my best rides, in the three-mile novice chase. He won easily at Cheltenham last time, will love the trip and, right now, I regard him as a dark horse for the RSA Chase at the festival.

I end a busy day on Vago Collonges, in what is traditionally a hot bumper. Already a winner of two bumpers in France, how he fits into the scheme of things I simply don’t know.

Tomorrow it’s Naas and three rides for Willie Mullins. Mikael d’Haguenet won easily for me at Thurles last time and, if his jumping stands up, can go in again in a novice chase.

I’m on another of Willie’s French-imports, Upsie, in the two miles and three maiden hurdle. She won at Saint-Cloud in November and works well enough, but I’m not exactly sure what to expect.

And then it’s Turban, who continues to be a puzzle, in a beginners chase. He has always worked and schooled great at home and that is still very much the case. But he just cannot deliver on the track and, quite frankly, has my head wrecked!

I will be taking a keen interest on proceedings at Leopardstown today, obviously focusing very much on Willie’s charges.

It is not easy deciding between Flemenstar and Sir Des Champs — two very good horses — in the Hennessy. Gun to my head, I’ll side with Sir Des Champs, just on the basis that he’s the more stout stayer.

Willie runs two in the Grade 1 hurdle for juveniles and Paul Townend has come down on the side of Diakali. This had to be a desperately difficult decision, because there is nothing between them. Mind you, I do think Paul is best positioned to make the choice. I’ve only ridden Blood Cotil — I think he’s more than decent — but Paul has partnered both.

I expect Champagne Fever to get the show back on the road in the Deloitte Novice Hurdle, after finishing a distant third to Rule The World and Minsk at Naas.

I rode him that day and, in retrospect, believe we were beaten before the start. I thought he was relaxed going down, but now think he was just lifeless.

He didn’t scope right after the race, but seems to be full of himself at home and I expect the real Champagne Fever to arrive today.

It has been well documented that Willie wasn’t happy with Boston Bob for a while, following his less than impressive success first time over fences at Navan.

But he seems to have turned the corner at home and can land what looks a less than vintage Moriarty Novice Chase.
                        Last edited by mayo; 9 February 2013, 05:24 AM.

Comment

More from ruby on video at http://www.fatjockey.com/festivals/r...ase-Trends-171

Comment

Morning mayo...ta for this

Comment

Looks to have the best book of festival rides http://www.fatjockey.com/cheltenham-...alsh-Rides-127

Comment

Working...
                              X