Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Newbury Hennessy Meeting - Other Races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbury Hennessy Meeting - Other Races

Post your tips trivia and news here please

The Gerry Fielden looks trappy ...

The two-mile Listed contest, better known as the Gerry Feilden, was won by subsequent Champion Hurdle winner Rock On Ruby 12 months ago.

While it is unlikely to unearth a similar star this time around, each of the six runners can be given some sort of chance.

French recruit Vendor, a staying-on third when favourite for last season's Fred Winter Juvenile Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival, was pulled up on his comeback at Aintree but connections are hopeful he can bounce back.

James Stafford, racing manager for owners Thurloe Thoroughbreds, said: "Unfortunately things didn't work out at Aintree. He pulled too hard, running on very soft ground over a trip that was too far for him (two and a half miles).

"It was probably wrong to go there in hindsight, but he had to start somewhere and hopefully he'll have improved considerably for the run.

"He's back at two miles tomorrow, which is where he wants to be.

"The ground is a bit of an issue. I think he acts on it but obviously he's got to relax when he is running in testing conditions.

"He is far more relaxed at home now, so hopefully he is the same when he gets back on the racecourse.

"He is a talented horse. He's only a four-year-old and still quite raw and I think we've only scratched the surface so far.

"He was very green in the Fred Winter. It was his first dog fight and he was stuck in traffic, but he finished his race well."

The Rebecca Curtis-trained Peckhamecho reverts to hurdles after being well beaten on his last two starts over fences.

Curtis said: "He's probably on a high enough mark, but hopefully he'll run well.

"It's just a confidence booster as much as anything as he has lot his confidence a bit over fences. Hopefully he'll enjoy himself tomorrow.

"He has won on soft ground over hurdles, but I suppose it's going to be extremely soft at Newbury, so that would be another question mark.

"We'll just have to see how he gets on."

Dean Ivory does not have many runners over jumps, but is confident of a bold show from Valid Reason following his fine second at Sandown earlier this month.

"On his last run, he has to go there with a very good chance," said Ivory.

"He ran really well at Sandown and just didn't get home up the hill. Back on a flatter track, it will suit him well.

"I thought the race would cut up a bit, but I didn't think it would cut up to just six runners, so it's great for us.

"He's fit and well and hopefully he'll run a very big race."

Edgardo Sol tops the weights for champion trainer Paul Nicholls and the field is completed by Donald McCain's Call Back and Lyvius from Nicky Henderson's yard.

Comment

Can we mention Vesper Bell here ....the reason Ruby stayed in Ireland ?

Comment

Welcome Frosty BTW.

Comment

Barry Saturday rides

The rest of the card is interesting and I’m on a improving one for Nicky in the Listed TBA Mares Novice's Hurdle (12.50), MA FILLEULE.

She was smart in France and won three chases but not a hurdle which makes her first season here much easier.

She might not have beaten a great deal at Haydock on her British debut at the end of October but she couldn’t have done it any easier for David Bass and the horse that finished about 40 lengths fourth won a novice hurdle next time.

I schooled her over hurdles earlier in the season and was very impressed with the way she went and the scope she has.

I gave her a little spin on Friday morning and she felt in great shape so I’d be very sweet on her chances.

I’m on SEVEN WOODS for Nicky in the 2m 6f Frootfall.co.uk Novices' Handicap Chase (1.25) and the only time I’ve ridden him we were a neck second in a two and half mile novice hurdle at Newbury last March.

A mistake at Worcester on his chase debut in late October knocked any chance he might have had so I have an open mind about this race which looks extremely competitive.

He has idled in his races so I’m hoping that blinkers first time are going to focus his attention on the job, If they work, then he’ll be interesting.

Comment

Worrying Times for Tidal Backers ..needs Ruby

Ruby Walsh is expected to be fit to ride on Saturday despite being stood down after a fall at Newbury on Friday.

Walsh suffered a fall aboard Curtain Razer in the Pertemps Handicap Hurdle, with the racecourse doctor ruling him out of his two remaining rides on the card.

The jockey is planning to be back in action on Saturday, with Tidal Bay in the Hennessy and Big Buck's in the Long Distance Hurdle the pick of his Newbury rides.

Clerk of the course Richard Osgood said: "He's got a sprained thumb and was stood down today, so he will have to be checked over by the doctors in the morning."

Comment

Jockeys in the wars today

Timmy Murphy taken to Swindon Hospital for X-rays on back after fall in last race at #Newbury

Comment

Meant to mention it yesterday...Bowen has worked wonders with Sizing Santiago. Not the first time either ...

Comment

3.40 - Sportingbet Handicap Chase (for the Jim Joel Memorial Trophy) (CLASS 2) (4yo+ 0-145) CH4 2m1f

9/10 – Returned 8/1 or shorter in the betting
                  8/10 – Had won a UK chase race over 2m1f
                  7/10 – Had won between 2-5 chase races in the UK
                  7/10 – Aged between 5-7 years-old
                  7/10 – French bred
                  7/10 – Officially rated between 126-135
                  7/10 – Had run within the last 5 weeks
                  6/10 – Placed in their last race
                  6/10 – Winning distance – 2 ½ lengths or more
                  5/10 – Unplaced favourites
                  3/10 – Trained by Paul Nicholls
                  3/10 – Winning favourites
                  3/10 – Ran at Cheltenham last time out
                  2/10 – Trained by Nicky Henderson
                  2/10 – Won a chase race at Newbury before
                  2/10 – Trained by Venetia Williams
                  2/10 – Ridden by Ruby Walsh
                  2/10 – Ridden by AP McCoy
                  2/10 – Winning favourites
                  The average winning SP in the last 10 runnings is 11/2

Comment

2.00 – Sportingbet Handicap Hurdle (CLASS 2) (4yo+ 0-150) CH4 2m3f

No previous runnings
                    Paul Nicholls has a 24% record with his hurdlers here
                    Nicky Henderson has a 21% record with his hurdlers here
                    Nigel Twiston-Davies is just 1 from 40 (3%) with his hurdlers at the track
                    Ruby Walsh has a 33% record when riding over hurdles at Newbury
                    AP McCoy has a 29% record when riding over hurdles here
                    Tom Scudamore is just 2 from 42 (5%) when riding over hurdles at the course

Comment

If King is to get on the scoresheet though, it may be stablemate Call Me A Star who is needed to strike in the Listed mares' hurdle.

King loves this lady to pieces and thinks she could go right to the top against her own sex. She impressed on her hurdling debut and continues to delight her trainer.

Stablemate Godsmejudge wouldn't be without a chance either in the following novice handicap chase.

But he may have to play second fiddle to Global Power, representing the resurgent Oliver Sherwood stable. Sherwood has had this race in mind ever since the horse passed the post in October and he has managed to resist a couple of tempting alternative targets since.

Ballypatrick is another to consider at a bigger price in the same race. He should appreciate the galloping track and test of stamina. A big run from Fighting Flynn in the second race at Towcester would be a positive pointer to his chances.

The closing Jim Joel Trophy looks an interesting choice of race for Ulck Du Lin.

He's had an interesting career to date, attracting plenty of headlines in the build up to Cheltenham but performing poorly. He was far too free for his own good on his reappearance at Stratford, but that didn't surprise Paul Nicholls and he has come on for the run.

Dropped right back in trip, Nicholls, who has been fighting a 'flu bug all week, believes that there is more to come. Could it be Ulck Du Lin who gives the trainer a welcome tonic?

Green Flag has work to do to make up ground with Maggio, but don't rule out a surprise reversal of placings in the French Furze Hurdle, if Newcastle beats the weather forecast.

Trainer Lucinda Russell rates Green Flag highly and he might not have been quite firing on all cylinders when beaten by Maggio last time out.

Comment

Davy Russell's rides this weekend ...back em all

12:10 1st Dec 12 Fairyhouse 2m 2f Bright New Dawn (IRE) D T Hughes SP
                        12:45 1st Dec 12 Fairyhouse 2m Midnight Game W P Mullins SP
                        13:20 1st Dec 12 Fairyhouse 2m 1f Far Away So Close (IRE) P Nolan SP
                        13:55 1st Dec 12 Fairyhouse 2m 5f 100y Panther Claw (IRE) P Nolan SP
                        15:00 1st Dec 12 Fairyhouse 2m 4f Bog Warrior (IRE) A J Martin SP
                        13:05 2nd Dec 12 Fairyhouse 2m C1 Midnight Oil W P Mullins 33/1
                        13:35 2nd Dec 12 Fairyhouse 2m 4f C1 Dedigout (IRE) A J Martin
                        14:40 2nd Dec 12 Fairyhouse 2m 4f C1 Si C'etait Vrai (FR) D T Hughes

Comment

McCoy on his other rides

She Ranks Me (12.50) appears to have Ma Filleule to beat while At Fishers Cross (2.35) is probably my best chance of the day. He won well at Ffos Las last time and has a good weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Vic View Post
                            McCoy on his other rides

She Ranks Me (12.50) appears to have Ma Filleule to beat while At Fishers Cross (2.35) is probably my best chance of the day. He won well at Ffos Las last time and has a good weight.
                            Forecast from AP in 12:50 and winner in 2:35. Knows his onions.

Comment

Davy Russell's rides this weekend ...back em all

12:10 1st Dec 12 Fairyhouse 2m 2f Bright New Dawn (IRE) D T Hughes 5/1 winner
                              12:45 1st Dec 12 Fairyhouse 2m Midnight Game W P Mullins 5/2 winner
                              13:20 1st Dec 12 Fairyhouse 2m 1f Far Away So Close (IRE) P Nolan SP
                              13:55 1st Dec 12 Fairyhouse 2m 5f 100y Panther Claw (IRE) P Nolan SP
                              15:00 1st Dec 12 Fairyhouse 2m 4f Bog Warrior (IRE) A J Martin evens winner

Good Call Sprinter

13:05 2nd Dec 12 Fairyhouse 2m C1 Midnight Oil W P Mullins 33/1
                              13:35 2nd Dec 12 Fairyhouse 2m 4f C1 Dedigout (IRE) A J Martin
                              14:40 2nd Dec 12 Fairyhouse 2m 4f C1 Si C'etait Vrai (FR) D T Hughes

Comment

Working...
                              X